Windows XP Can't Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you recommend a good program other than CloneCD where I can copy an image file to a DVD? CloneCD doesn't work for me.

I burned the Windows XP Pro CD and I'll boot it up and see what happens when I get back from class. I did, however, take a quick peak and booted up using the CD-Rom and I was presented with a blue screen that asked if I wanted to install Windows XP Pro or do a Recovery but I don't have time to do it now so I'll check again later.

Does it matter about my little story with the PC shop? I'm almost positive that they swapped my legal copy for an OEM that they already had on one of their computers. Will I get the WGA notice?

Also, when I repair install will I be able to keep all my files and stuff? And I'm guessing doing a format and fresh install will delete all of my files?
If you do a repair install you wont get a WGA notice as you didnt change anything on the PC at all. If you had changed any parts in the PC you might. But my suggestion for this would be if you still have your reciept for the copy of Windows you bought, go the Windows site and report that store and see if you can get yourself a fully legit copy of Windows from Microsoft for helping with the anti-piracy effort.

Can you recommend a good program other than CloneCD where I can copy an image file to a DVD? CloneCD doesn't work for me.

If you mean burn a ISO to a CD i recommend ImgBurn. Free and easy to use. Instruction on it here:

Burning ISO Images with ImgBurn - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

I went into Windows Recovery and it asked me for my administrative password and now all that's on my screen is a DOS type command program. There is a list of commands if I type in 'help' but am not sure what to do next.

I went back and went to start up Windows XP which is the first option. I then went to repair the current drive that Windows XP is on and it began to copy the files. Once it hit 100%, the computer rebooted and after the Windows XP loading screen (where it would normally just reboot again) I was greeted with the Windows XP Installation setup.

I just let it run until I was asked to provide my 25 digit product key. What do I do now? I don't have the 25 digit product key. Where could I have put the CD in to load up the magic bean program that gives me the product key on the computer without logging in to Windows?

Sorry if I'm not completely clear on my problem here. There are just so many things going through my head right now.

Okay so you are prompted by a serial prompt and you dont have one. This is XP Pro right? At this point i dont know if there is anyway to get the serial. That is a first to see a serial being asked for during a repair install. I have never seen that before in all my years workign with XP.

At this point i just dont know what can work. You can boot into Windows, now you cant repair it. The serial you have you cant get to. Anyway you can contact this shop and have them give you a serial over the phone? Even if you threatened to report them to Microsoft for fraud and piracy?

Cause honestly that is the only option i can see now. I never encountered a serial prompt on a repair that is why i thought it could just go thru and repair then use the Magic Jelly Bean app and get the serial before all was lost. But it seems we are there now.

Without a serial we are stuck. I dont have any more ideas. Sorry.

Let me make sure I did this right first.

I put the CD in, booted up with the CD, went to the first option that said Start up Windows XP, then it asked me to agree or disagree to a term of agreement and I hit agree and then it asks if I want to do a brand new install of Windows XP or just repair it so I see C://Windows and hit 'R' to repair. There's a loading bar and once it hit 100% the computer rebooted and I was able to finally get past the Windows XP loading bar to the Windows XP installation screen. The installation started right away without asking me if I wanted to install it or not and in about 10-15 minutes a windows pops up and I hit 'next' and it asks for my serial.

Also I did threaten to sue (and this was well over a year ago) but they claimed I had no proof but we compromised and he gave me an OEM copy of one of the computers at his store, telling me that while I can install updates and all that, I will not be able to reformat or reinstall Windows or else I would get the WGA warning again. I called into Microsoft and their support was pretty much useless as usual. They pretty much said "Hey you have an OEM copy so therefor we can't really help you."

Well the repair option should not be on the first menu. When you load the XP CD you should see what you say. The first thing you see id Windows loading. After that you see the Install XP or "R" for Recovery Console. After you hit Install XP you shoudl get the license agreement. After that it should search your PC for a Windows OS already installed. From there it should find your install and give you the option then to hit "R" for Repair.

Well is a way they are right. You dont have proof. But you do. If you have saved the reciept from when you originally bought XP you can use that as your proof that you bought a legal copy of XP and after going to them it was classified by Windows as Illegal. That would be proof enough to show that they are not legit at all.

Even them giving you a serial isnt a compromise as they could not guarentee that you would never have to reinstall. Basically they forced you to have to go back to them so they could charge you again.

I mean calling Microsoft would only help to activate your serial. As their support team cant really help you in this situation. So your only real hope is if you have the reciept from the original purchase. If not then sadly i dont know of anything else to say if the repair doesnt work but to buy a new copy of XP Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom