Windows XP Can't Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downloaded the program PE Builder v3.1.10a but am not sure where to start. Could you kindly guide me through? I have a blank DVD in hand.

Sure, it's on the site, but here you go:

# Make sure that your system has about 500MB of free disk space!

# Download the latest PE Builder version (self-installing package) and install it.

# Start PE Builder (pebuilder.exe). When you start PE Builder for the first time it will ask if you agree with the license agreement.

# Now PE Builder will ask to search for windows installation files. If you don't have your windows XP setup/installation files on your system you must insert the original Microsoft Windows XP installation/setup CD at this point.
The files you have at c:\windows are not installation files. They are your already installed files!
Click "yes" to start searching. PE Builder will now search all fixed- and CD-Rom drives for Windows installation files. This will take some time. When more than one valid location is found, a dialog will appear where you can select which location you want to use.

# At the main PE Builder dialog, select the "Burn to CD/DVD" option. When you are using an erasable medium, make sure that the "AutoErase RW" option is enabled. The "burn using" option should be set to "StarBurn". Select your CD writer device from the Device list.

# Hit the "build" button. PE Builder will now ask you to create a BartPE directory, answer with "yes".

# The license for your Microsoft Windows XP product is shown. Read it and agree to it to continue.

# PE Builder will now start building BartPE. This will take a few minutes.
You will see a lot of files getting copied and/or decompressed, the ISO image build and the data recorded to your CD/DVD writer.
If the data verify was correct and there where no errors reported you can boot the CD/DVD!

if you reset CMOS then you need to make sure that legacy USB support is turned on for the keyboard to work here.

I hit safe mode and a whole bunch of "partition(0)" something lines appeared on screen and then it just reboots after like 10 seconds.

Thanks for the info, I'll try it out now.

However, this PC is using Windows XP Home and the other computer is a Pro. Will this make any difference?

I'm just not sure how successful it will be with his dodgy version of XP, but at the end of the day there really isn't much else to try...:(

Good Luck Jeff! - Keep us posted, although it's 00:54 (GMT) here and i'll be in bed in about an hour...or so!

The PEBuilder just said that building from an OEM (which is what this computer is) can mean trouble. I'm gonna pop in the disk right now and give it a shot.

Go for it! - You haven't really got much to lose to be honest Jeff...

Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom