Windows XP – But XP gone out the window

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.szczep

Beta member
Hi folks

A friend asked me to help out with his problem so I thought I’d post it here. Basically he is running a pretty decent and recent PC, with Windows XP and what have you, however one morning when he switched on the PC he saw that the XP styling for Windows was no more – everything looked like he was running Windows 98. He then tried to change it in appearance so it didn’t look like Windows Classic, yet the XP styling option had gone.

So IÂ’m just wondering, how would he get his PC back to normal? He has that OEM backup disk thing that you get with new PCs, would this be of help?

Also, does anyone know how this went or why? I know that for a small period of time the other day, maybe five minutes, his PC had no antivirus or firewall. But what purpose does it serve to remove XP styling? And to be honest, IÂ’m more concerned as to what else could have been done without his knowing.

So, if anyone has any recommendations on how-to get XP back to normal and ways to check for open doors or something like that, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Run a repair on it. Put in the OEM CD and put from it, and when it offers to repair windows, choose that option. Please note that you won't lose any files, but you will probably have to reinstall your programs.

Dan

Thanks all for the replies. Tomorrow I'll be going round his to lend him a hand so will try it out. Finger's crossed all goes well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom