Windows XP Address Bar Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anorak

Solid State Member
SP2. No Viruses, No Ads nor Spyware

Earlier noticed that opening I'net Explorer from Address Bar was getting slower. Now unable to open I'net explorer from Address Bar but can from Start button.

If I type http://www.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx and then click on GO, nothing happens. However, I can ping and go to local folders from the address bar.

If I simply type in something like "techforum" I get the message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder Options Control Panel."

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thx

have you tried just clearing you temp files and running IE normaly for a little while?
Also, try clearing out the temp folders in your profile. This can cause minor problems sometimes...

delete all the files in the c:\windows\prefetch folder and may b then everything would work fine

Inaris and Kevz

Thanks for the suggestions which I have implemented but I still have the same problem. I don't know if this is a clue but I now find that I cannot open IE from OE. If I go to a link within an email the cursor changes to a pointing finger but when I click on the link nothing happens.
Any further suggestions?
Incidentally I still have a few cookies and gifs in the temp folder of my profile which I cannot delete.

Just a further update.
I have reinstalled WinXP but the problem remains.
Any suggestions most welcome.
I hope a reformat is not required!!

Thanks

Well If u have reinstalled the OS and still the same problems then i feel it would be good if u Format coz if there were files damaged then may be after reinstallin it would be fine and i feel Format is the best solution here

Hi Guys

LATEST UPDATE

I am still reluctant to reformat since everything else appears to be working OK. However, here's something strange for you to get your brains around.

I have had Opera installed for a long time. Used it occasionally but never set it as my default browser.

NOW I find that when I click on GO (the address bar) it opens Opera. Likewise, if I click on a link in an email or in a word document Opera opens.
However, if I click on Internet Explorer from the Start menu or from the Programs Menu, Internet Explorer opens. In fact I can run both browsers at the same time.

Strange eh?

FIXED

Hi again guys

Thought you might be interested to learn that I have now (after very many hours) cured the problem.

A lot of searching on the 'net led me to 2 pieces of software (IEFix and Default Browser). Using these two have fixed the problem.

On first boot after the fix I was concerned because I received an error message to the effect that IE had been removed from the PC and asking me if I wanted to update my personal settings. I did so and all went well.

Thanks for your help anyway. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom