Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGA

Beta member
HELP PLEASE

Have Dell Dimension 2350 Computer
Originally came with Manufacturers Recovery Disk which I have lost .
I do have the Serial/Activation Key Code on the rear of the Computer Case.
O/s is Windows XP

I seem to have read somewhere that somewhere on my Computer there is a complete copy of
The Windows XP Installation. Is it possible to copy this to make a ReInstallation CD Disk for Windows XP? and then use the activation key on the Computer to reactivate it when it is re-loaded?

I have some Other Programmes already on the Computer which I would like to keep , Some of these have been downloaded from the Web direct and have been registered and activated .Is there anyway I can copy these in their entirety to a CD so that if ever I have to re-load these to re-install them I can do so?

Any advice will be much appreciated

Thank you

DGA

For backing up the software that is a tough one..There is really now way around having to re-install them. If you paid for them out right just look up your documentation as vendors are usually cool with giving you new activation info so long as you can prove you bought it..with an order number, serial.etc etc..

You can TRY and backup the folder in the c:\program files folder and export the main registry keys for that piece of software which would be under the HIVE of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE.

SOMETIMES that will work..its about 50/50.

I dont recall any of our Dells at work having the recovery partion that you speak of, but perhaps the home PC's are different. I know that our IBM laptops come with said recovery partion which contains the OS and all programs needed to resotre back to factory conditions. What partitions are there?

My XPs didnt ship with nothing but the drivers. Which is fine with me. I prefer my load better anyways....Its nice to have to drivers local instead of going to the Dell site and finding them.

Warez Monster said:
what do you see on your c drive..what files.....
BCD File/Folder
Config MSI
Corel
DELL
Documents & Settings
Drivers
GSP
I386
My Documents
My Downloads
Programme Files
Recycler