Windows XP 64bit Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygor

Daemon Poster
I have just purchased my first Athlon 64 proc. (it hasnt yet arrived!!!) but it has now got me wondering if anyone here knows anything about when Win XP 64 is due to be released? I have scoured google and all I have got is conflicting information and rumours... so I thought I would ask any of you lot had heard anything... I'm pretty sure it was originally due out already and has been postponed to the first quater of this year... but thats the extent of my knowledge.

I'm getting an Athlon 64 soon myself, and I had done a bit of searching and found nothing. At microsoft's website, it only became worse, but as far as I could tell, it's released under certain circumstances and isn't public. This just got me more confused, so I did a little browsing and found a torrent of it and downloaded it. As to when it's publically released, I have no idea. This is based off of conjectures therefore I might not be right at all, but I hope it helps.

WorrNemesis

Ah, that must be it. It was a while ago when I went there and looked, but I'm still curious as to the original question of when it will be out. I will be getting my computer soon and would like to have it quickly.

WorrNemesis

Will there be a 64 bit and 32 bit version of the new OS coming out next year? Longhorn I believe it's called.

If they have released a BETA version of Windows that runs in a 64 bit enviroment, not to mention Linux, Red Hat and others are developing 64 bit operating systems, they will no doubt design Longhorn for both 32 and 64 bit proccesors.

I wouldn't download the 64 bit Windows yet, it's still a BETA, so it's probably packed full of bugs, security holes, and other annoying problems.

gaara said:
I wouldn't download the 64 bit Windows yet, it's still a BETA, so it's probably packed full of bugs, security holes, and other annoying problems. [/B]

Is that any different from an already released version of windows :rolleyes:. I know what you mean, it'd just be even worse, but I figure I'll try it anyway. If it actually isn't that bad (doubt it), then I might keep it there, although I will most likely end up putting something else on it. I will, of course, have Linux Mandrake (64-bit) on a seperate partition too, which I'm also eager to try out. I'm still curious about the expected release date of 64-bit XP.

I suggest going Mandrake with the 64bit release, and use a copy of WineX, it works awsome with World Of Warcraft

i definately agree. but the problem with linux amd64 platforms is the lack of good video drivers that haunts gamers. My ati9800 performs like an IGL

still.. all I have done is stir up interest... does no-one know anything about the release date????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom