Windows XP 64-Bit - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Windows XP 64-Bit

If I have Widnows XP 64 bit on my computer right now, but want to just go back to regular XP... what would i have to do? If I bought the upgrade xp package, would that work or would I need to get the full one? What do I do? Thanks.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

dont upgrade 64 bit from your regualr as you will lose you license to the first one

Old 09-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well then what do I do? I have the evalutation copy of 64 and it has run out, so that means that my computer restarts about every hour or so. I just want to go back to regular XP how do I do that?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

i think you can go back of you use the evaluation. they have a free upgrade in which you can't go back. if you are savy enough you can usee a dual boot

use the xp cd to do a fresh install. I don't know how to rollback an 64 bit install
Old 09-02-2005, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Damn that sucks, I think im just going to take it to this computer shop that I know tomorrow and see how much it would cost for them to set it up with regular XP...but if anyone out there knows the solution to my problem then that would be super helpful.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

So, your problem is thus: You have an eval copy of XP-64 that has expired, and is now making your life miserable. It has offered that you purchase it, but you just want to dispose of it and go back to normal XP?
Do you want to keep XP-64? I think MS had some sort of a program that allowed you to relenquish an XP (32 bit standard) key and recieve a 64 bit key. (just looked, and the program ended july 30th). If you are really serious about keeping then you'll have to buy a new key.

If you just want normal XP back:
Unfortunatly, if I understand it correctly, XP-64 is a totally dirrerent entity from XP. You are going to have to back up your data and reformat. If you have a copy of XP, then you should be able to use that key again, if not, just call up Microsoft and eplain your situation, and ask them to give the activation code manually.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=56991
Old 09-03-2005, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to timmer

u just get ur windows xp disc and reformat and do a fresh install

GeForce Fx 6600GT
Asus P5LD2
HD AUDIO
480W thermaltake
Closed Thread