Windows XP 64-bit - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to DontStealMyFish
Question Windows XP 64-bit

Where exactly can i purchase windows xp 64-bit edition? and if possible, are there any places to get an academic discount?

Old 02-21-2004, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Emily

Do you mean where can you pre-order it? Because a 64-bit edition of WinXP is still in the works; I've heard it won't be released till 2005 or so.

Old 02-21-2004, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by apokalipse
I would personally prefer getting am Athlon 64 3000/3200 (not FX, more dollars than sense) with an MSI K8T Neo board, which is surprisingly close to what you'd spend on a P4 3.2 and a good board like an Asus P4P800, Thermaltake have released a Volcano 12 for it, but for most people I'd suggest using the cooling that comes with it (getting it with retail box)
the Radeon 9600 XT performs almost as good as a 9800 XT, so don't waste your money on getting the 9800, when the 9600 is about a quarter to one third of the price, either get the plain 9600, or 9600 XT. MS has released WXP 64 bit edition, though most resellers still do not have it, it's out there.
HP does have it on their site but its still kind of unclear as to whether its a retail version or not. So iwas wondering if it is out, who is selling it.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

If you buy a hard drive. Some vendor's will sell you a OEM version of Window's.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Here it is right from the "How To Buy" section of the Microsoft website. From what I can see, it is only being sold with complete systems.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...uy/default.asp

Ironically enough, the only 64-bit systems I am aware of that come with Windows XP 64-bit are Itanium systems (these are also the only ones advertised on the Microsoft site). Yet in the Windows XP 64-bit demo software section of the site, where you can suposedly sign up to receive demos of 64-bit software being released, the system requirements listed are AMD Athlon 64 or Opteron processors.

Kind of a paradox, isn't it? Windows XP 64-bit is only sold on Itanium based machines, yet the requirements advertised from being apart of the demo program is an AMD machine.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Several Linux distros already work with 64-bit so MS has to play chatch-up.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
XT
Ultra Techie

baaa m$ is junk but has so much software written for it. Its going to be impossable to throw it away
Old 02-22-2004, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yea, sometimes microsoft ticks me off. but its mostly their greediness. anyhow.... is there any plans to sell a retail version of xp 64?
Old 02-22-2004, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

yeah there is

I am running the beta of win xp 64 right now the schedualed release for it is ina coupple of months
Old 02-22-2004, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by XT
baaa m$ is junk but has so much software written for it. Its going to be impossable to throw it away
My sentiments exactly.

Error: Keyboard not attached. Please press F1 to continue. <pre>-------OS----------Gentoo Linux-------<br>------Browser-----Mozilla Firefox-----</pre><form action="http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php" method="get"><input type="text" name="search"> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search the Forums, thanks to Emily"></form>

|||Official Forum Rules|||<hr>
Closed Thread