windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay...I don't get it. So why only allow a second copy on a laptop and not your second PC? Very confusing!

It's for the extension of the product. the thinking goes like this...

most people, atleast up until about 2 years ago only had a desktop. The busness market was using all the laptops. The thought was that if you have a desktop, that is your primary machine, which is supplimented with use of the laptop from time to time. It's an extension of the desktop. That is why they allow this. It's to extend the use of the desktop onto the laptop for you and only you. Since it's a primary user only thing...

Thanks.......not that I think that that is particularly brilliant logic at work, but a good history lesson nevertheless!

mestizo122 said:
Sorry, but I don't think that you can.

Read the EULAs:

XP Pro: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eula.mspx

XP Home: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx

Unless I misread, the text that you are reffering to, is not in the Windows XP EULAs

somebody here will always question me about this. I have answer this question like 50 times on this forum. but at the end of the day, they will install xp on their laptop and the activation will go through without a hitch.

I read this info, off of a MS links, years ago, and just because I can't find the link, somebody will always question me.

BASSMASTER said:
That's like someone asking:

"Can I have a car without paying for it"

and your answer being (because you don't lie)

"Sure, just find one you want, break the windshield, hotwire it and off you go"

its the turth is it not, sometimes people don't know what they can do. in this cause, its obvious u can steal a car, but sometimes people don't know everything about computers which is why they ask.
and i told him the truth.

Yes you actualy can, sure its illegal but the turth is you can, just install it call MS, say you reformated and reinstalled need new activation key, and yes it is only on 1 computer.

Ive done it before.
sorry didn't really read first post.

actually the above is a lie. It's an illegal way to do what is legal by design, yet only for 1 desktop and 1 laptop, no more. Doing what you indicated is a missuse of the system and illegal. I wouldn't recommend doing that. Even though the chances of getting caught are slim to non, it's still not right.
but anyway, on the topic of the XP EULA, since it doesn't contain the information that I posted, I'm going to assume, andI'm going to assume you all have read it, then it's true that you are not allowed by the eula to do this. Unless the EULA changed since it went retail, I think it's pretty clear what you options are. i know that the Win2k EULA granted this right, as well of office 2000-2003, but now I understand where it is going.

EricB, it seems that unless you can find the text that I indicated in the Eula, it's not the way anymore... might be worth digging around in the EULA's you have and check. I know I'll be doing that tonight after work... :/

do people read or do they just look at first sentence, I know it illegal, but its the truth and yes u can do it. Im not saying its right or wrong to do I simply said he could do it, I don't have a view of right and wrong I only do what works.

I never read the eula. I have a bunch of them in the closet. I did read on a microsoft website that you can have a copy on a pc and a backup on a laptop. they were refering to windows XP

when you try it, the activation will go through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom