Windows XP 32 or 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incorrect, x32 windows can see upto 4GB ... the memory space is just used. Enable PAE and you will see. The amount of ram that is usable depends on the hardware. I have seen systems that see 3gb all the way to 3.75gb

If you want less problems, get x32. I would not do x64 unless you plan on having more then 4gb of ram. For me thats the only advantage. (well that and the user process memory limit.)

Incorrect, x32 windows can see upto 4GB ... the memory space is just used. Enable PAE and you will see. The amount of ram that is usable depends on the hardware. I have seen systems that see 3gb all the way to 3.75gb

I have PAE enabled, and I only see 3GB out of my 4GB (2x2GB). When I had 4x1GB sticks, it'd recognize 3.5GB (with PAE enabled).

If you want less problems, get x32. I would not do x64 unless you plan on having more then 4gb of ram. For me thats the only advantage. (well that and the user process memory limit.)

your talking about windows vista 32 or xp 32? I have vista 32 right now and it shows up 4gigs, does that automatically mean my system is using all 4gigs? if not how do I enable PAE?

Vista 32 Bit doesnt support 4GB of RAM. It will report that 4GB is installed. But it has the same limits as XP 32 Bit does. It will only be able to use 3.25GB of you RAM which includes your dedicated Video Card.

Vista 64 Bit with SP1 is very stable.

For all the info you want on 32 Bit vs 64 Bit read the sticky thread for the comparison of them.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/difference-between-32-bit-x86-64-bit-x64-171390/#post1349279

That shows why 32 Bit cant use more than 4GB of RAM. It is a limit with the technology at the time 32 Bit was constructed.
Seriously. Please read what was already posted.

32 Bit (x86) vs 64 Bit (x64)

I already told you that thread linked right there would give you all the answers.

PAE or not 32 Bit is limited architecture. NO if ands or anything else about it. It can not address 4GB of RAM cause it saves 750 MB for hardware addressing. Which also includes your Video card.

all x86 os'es are limited to about 3.25gb.

With or without PAE enabled here Vista reports a full 4gb in the Computer properties while indicating a 3.581gb total in the task manager/performance tab. Some 515mb out of the 4gb is immeidately mapped out to hardwares. That leaves some 2.6-2.8gb after system processes and startups.

With or without PAE enabled here Vista reports a full 4gb in the Computer properties while indicating a 3.581gb total in the task manager/performance tab. Some 515mb out of the 4gb is immeidately mapped out to hardwares. That leaves some 2.6-2.8gb after system processes and startups.

Just because Vista shows it recognizes all 4GB doesn't mean it can use those 4GB. Like you said, in TM it shows 3.5GB available for use.

Just because Vista shows it recognizes all 4GB doesn't mean it can use those 4GB. Like you said, in TM it shows 3.5GB available for use.

Vista with SP1 lists 4gb in the properties that's all. As I mentioned before some 515mb is automatically mapped out to hardwares before you even start to count what is available.

Most with XP see about 3.12gb as the total when looking in the task manager>performance tab. The listing in properties is simply the hardware process detecting a 4gb total. From the 3.5+ figure you then dock some 700-800mb taken up by Windows and other programs that load along with Windows.

I've found it "more compatible" because it seems like Vista x64 supports things out of the box more, or more companies made drivers for it vs XP x64 for smaller stuff (yes the core stuff like you said works just fine when you find the drivers; sometimes it's a bit of a pain to find drivers for that stuff though as well). Not everything such as printers are compatible in a x64 environment though either (especially XP x64). Sure this can be solved in a dual-boot or VM environment, but its just one more step for the average user that they shouldn't have to take if they want to just simply print a document. Places are getting better about more x64 bit drivers, however, too.
If all people want to do is print a document, or look at websites, they'll do more than fine with onboard video, 512MB RAM, a single core CPU, and XP 32.

XP x64 is basically for people who want/need the capabilities of 64-bit - more than 4GB RAM is one major reason.

And if people are using more than 4GB RAM, then they're probably the kind of user who would know how to load a virtual machine anyway.
Though I can use pretty much any program I want in XP x64, except Itunes (which is really Apple's fault for neglecting to change maybe 2 lines of code)
Though there are players I prefer for everyday use anyway (Mplayer and XMplay).
I only use a virtual machine for itunes, so I can sync my ipod (which I only rarely do).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom