windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollyoaks777

In Runtime
i am trying to install windows xp, on my laptop so i can boot from xp or vista home premium, when i start up, but when installin xp it goes so far then i get BSOD, any suggestions welcome, i want to use xp, as college is using xp and not changing to vista and i had a test today and didn't do it as quick as i should have, as i have been using vista for months now, and trying to find my way around xp added about 15 mins onto my test.
thank you in advance
p.s this is the third time this has happened and its a dell 1545 inspiron, there is nothing wrong with the disc as i have installed it recently on a friends, it just says windows has found a problem hence BSOD, i think its vista thats stopping me, correct me if i am wrong.

ok so you are trying to install it on a seperate partition? if you are trying to install it on the same partition from windows .. yea, Vista wont let it.. try from a boot also make sure your ROM drive is first boot read and HDD second boot device.. also you may not be able to keep the install of Vista as XP may rewrite the master boot record.. maybe can fix this with EasyBCD. also make sure to keep the installs on seperate partitions or HDD's.

p.s this is the third time this has happened and its a dell 1545 inspiron, there is nothing wrong with the disc as i have installed it recently on a friends, it just says windows has found a problem hence BSOD, i think its vista thats stopping me, correct me if i am wrong.

If that is true then this serial that you are trying to use can not be used anymore. Since it was used on your friends PC. that violates the EULA and TOS of Windows.

i haven't violated any laws as i have my friends pc now, as i bought it off her now its knackered just my luck and hampton that is exactly what i am trying to do, but i dont want to lose everything i have on vista.

Sorry you are violating the TOS as once it has been activated on that system it can ONLY be used on that system.

Saxon is right. Even though you bought that machine from her unless it is this specific laptop that you are trying to install to now it will be in violation of the EULA and TOS of Windows unless you have a Retail copy that you are removing from that system first and transferring the COA to the laptop.

That is just instruction on how to install XP. That is not to determine if your XP is OEM or Retail. that would be known by where you got the XP CD from.

Or it'll say on the disk. Most retail disks will have a brand name on it, like dell or hp etc.
Or if you've already installed the OS, just right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom