Windows XP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2007, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Smile Windows XP

Hey Everyone,
I having a problem with my computer. I am running windows xp and when I go down to -start-turn off computer-shutdown or restart or standby or hib. I cant get it to do anything. It wont shut down. I scanned for virus and spyware and my system is clean. Any help?

Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Repeat Offender
Default Re: Windows XP

Sounds like you have processes running in the backgroud that are having trouble stopping.

Change the world. Of one person. Today.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

could be spyware or malwere related? possibly try rebuilding your pc, or install avg free and run spybot search and destroy and also run hijack this!

maybe that will help.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

He already ran scans for spyware and malware. Also what would rebuilding your PC do other than waste time? It isnt hardware based. HiJack This is for things that shouldnt be running so that is a good start.

But first you should do a Ctrl+Alt+Del and see what you have running. She what could be giving your PC a hard tim e shutting down. Like a Windows Update, Virus update. Anything like that will stall it. Also Trillian i have noticed has cause my PC to shut down longer. Closing that beforehand might help.

Other than that i would just close everything in your taskbar that you can. After that see if that does anything. Also have you installed any applications since the last time you remember it shutting down correctly. It could be that application or multpile applications that are causing this issue.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

hmm I only know one program that did that to me or anyone I know and thats iMesh but I doubt anyone uses that anymore
AMD Phenom II x6 1045T @ 2.7 Ghz
8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
Crucial M500 240GB SSD (boot drive)
500GB WD 5000AAKX-001CA0
1.5 TB Seagate ST1500DM003
Zotac Geforce GTX 950 2GB GDDR5
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Closed Thread