Windows x64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guernica

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I just recently built a new rig from scratch. I opted to use an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ so I went ahead and bought Windows x64 Professional to reap full benifits of having a 64bit processor.

Now Im regretting my decision. Im having tons of problems.
-I cant install IE 6 SP1 (does not install on 64bit systems)

-I keep getting error messages while trying to instal Java apps, without Java I cant run Limewire.

-Streaming video embedded in webpages will not stream, it gives me a "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is located on the Internet, connect to the Internet. If the file is located a removable storage card, insert the storage card." error message when I click on Error Details.

-I cant get through to the Microsoft website to download SP1 and SP2. It gets to the point where it says "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating software for use with the website"....then it gives me this.
"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:

*Frequently Asked Questions
*Find Solutions
*Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:
*Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

[Error number: 0x8009200D]"

How am I supposed to get the service packs if Microsofts website keeps giving me that **** message.. if I order the CD it takes 4-6 WEEEEEKS! :mad:

Im sure there are other things Im forgetting right now but thats just a few of the LIMITED things I can do on this **** 64bit OS. :mad:

Your problems are not all because you are using x64 I've experimented on a few of my friends and I must say I'm very impressed at the performance it can give you when you finally solve your driver nightmares.

I just got some cash and will be building a PC you can bet it's going to be x64 first thing I do is go to msdn and get xp x64 I've never had any large problems with it yet besides small annoyances which my friend now says is fixed.

if you want 64 bit to work at 64bit right now, get linux.
otherwise use 32 bit windows. win 64 is too buggy now

what kind of setup does your friend run? what kind of browser? I use Firefox right now. Im thinking about going to a Linux or Solaris OS and try those out. IF nothing impresses me then Im just going to go back to 32bit regular XP

why not? they have live cds to run the OS off of the cd. if he doesn't like it he can discard the cd. if he like it, he can download the install file and install it

how does linux work? Is it the same basic concept as Windows OS? Im kinda gettin bored with Windows, i want something with a new feel and look to it, not to mention less buggy. I cant even install ActiveX or Java, i mean wtf microsoft.

I might try out Linux before I get too far ahead of myself in x64

Linux is only to be used for "smart" computer users. You can't have activeX at all on a linux system and you cannot click to install files everything you do is command line that is the equivalent of using DOS for pretty much everything on windows.

I do not recommend it but I I can't stop you I suggest you do what Eric said and use a LiveCD to get the general feel of Linux. Then if you like it download Redhat or Fedora. I consider these to be the more easy to work with Linux brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom