Windows won't come up, doesn't even get to the loading screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoobooboozoo

Baseband Member
Hi there.

I have Windows XP running on:
Intel core 2 dou E-7300 2.66 GHZ 3M
GIGABYTE GA-G31MS2L.

I startup my PC, and get to this black screen with all sort of stuff written and something like "boot from cd/dvd" comes up, and after a lil' while some error message regarding no cd that is bootable or something in the drive[sense there no windows or linux or whatever cd in the drive].

I checked the BIOS setup in it was fine[suppose to boot from harddrive 1st], and I set it to try only from the harddrive and not even try from cd/dvd as a 2nd or 3rd option.
didn't help.

I tried putting into the drive the windows xp installtion cd, in it seems to recognize the windows that is already installed and I trie the repair/recovery console: I did "FIXBOOT" and tried to set it right through "BOOTCFG", it all seems legit. like it should work just fine.

but nothing seems to work and whatever I do the computer tries to boot from cd without even trying to boot the windows from the HD.
and it happen, like, all of the sudden. I didn't juggle with the settings of the BIOS or WINDOWS before it started to happen, and I don't even have internet connection so it's very unlikely for a virus to show up and mess the pc.

anyone has an idea of what can be done to fix this problem?
thx in advnace

Go into the Recovery Console and try the fixboot and fixmbr commands.

He tried to set it through boot config. Not using the fixmbr command. Which is why i suggested that first.

Does it freeze as you are going through the repair install? How does it not work? Does it not finish the process, or does it finish then you still have the same boot issue?

Then something is wrong with the boot files. Be it they are pointing to the wrong partition, drive or there is one of them missing. Something is up with them that is causeing this issue.

Troubleshooting Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Get the NTLDR and NTDETECT files from this page and place them in the root of your C: Drive. Hidden files must be showing along with system protected files.

Rebuilding Boot.ini - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Use these steps to rebuild your boot.ini.

That should solve the boot issue. If it does not then either your boot sequence is wrong from the BIOS like Lex said or you may have a dying CMOS battery which is not saving your BIOS Settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom