Windows will not let me install applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate and I am having trouble installing almost anything. Every time an installer needs to register something or do any thing in the registry, a pop-up comes up and tells me that the program was unable to register "blah blah blah" and results in my program not installing or working at all.

For example: I tried to install K-Lite Codec Pack. I get the following error.
errorklitegv7.jpg

I get a different error for each individual program, but thats what most of them sound like. I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows. But if I don't get this problem sorted out I will have to :(

Thanks for any help :)

Have you tried to restart? Are you fully up to date? Have you tried Safe Mode?

Are the programs compatible with Vista?

I haven't tried safe mode yet. I'll get on that asap.

Its definitely not incapabilities with vista.

List of apps I've tried installing: (most of em)
Blaze Media Pro
K-Lite Codec Pack
Nero 8 and Nero 7
NOD32
DivX

Each one will either halfway work or not work at all because of this problem.

Well if Safe Mode doesnt work you have a corrupted Registry and have 2 options.

1. Try using a Restore point. See if you have any before the corruption.
2. If Restore points fail. Reinstall. there is no Repair option for Vista.

Have you ever been able to install things on this computer? If you're not using an admin account, I'm not sure if you can install software that accesses the registry.

Yeah im admin.

Looks like I will have to go with a fresh reinstall.

Freak!!! :(
That will take all day to do.

Few more questions..

-Is windows server 2008 worth the time?
-Should I go with 64 bit? Is there any more performance increase at all?
-Do you guys think I should revert back to XP?

Just making sure I choose the right windows, because I don't plan on reinstalling for a while. :p

1. I have a thread psoted about this already. Read up on it. But dont bother trying to pirate it. Server OS's are harder than regular ones to crack....

2. If you have all the drivers for 64 Bit and you think it is worth it then by all means. Just make sure the software you use is also 64 Bit compatable.

3. If you want. If it is the rig in your sig you would be better off on XP as you say it is a gamer build.

Well I got Windows Server 2008 Data-center (64bit) working and I just installed, updated and all of the drivers for my computer. Luckily most of my hardware came with drivers that were compatible. Only problem that I am running into is that I can't seem to find Windows Media Player 11 for Windows Vista. Some of my programs that I try to run need WMP regardless if I have the codec installed or not. :(

I'm glad I decided to use Windows Server 2008, seems to start up a little faster and be a little more stable.

Anyways, thanks for the help :)

You will have to find my thread to be able to enalbe Windows Media Player. There is a part of the Server you have to install to get it working. If i remember correctly it is something with Windows Audio and Video Experience. Need to isntall that. That will allow you to get WMP working/ I also give info on how to get Aero working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom