Windows will not Assign a Drive Letter to my CD-Rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

himini

Beta member
OK I think this is a tough one. I'm working on a customer's Win98SE computer that had lots of malware which has now all been removed successfully. I noticed his CD-rom drives didn't show up in "My Computer" so I went through some standard troubleshooting steps. Drives are recognized in Bios AND in Device Manager. I've swapped out with other drives same problem. I've changed his IDE controller settings to "Both IDE channels enabled." I've tried uninstalling the drives to let Windows re-install on reboot. No change. Yet I booted up his computer with a BartPE disc no problem. So I don't think it could be a hardware problem.

I've also tried changing the "reserved drive letters" for the cd-roms (in device manager) but still no change. When I reboot Windows will still not assign a drive letter even though the drives are recognized and working properly. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.
7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
8. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Thanks for the response. I did just try this method before your post (Microsoft article Q320553-- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/) but no such key exists in the Win98 registry. There is no "class" under "control." There is a "class" under "services" that has the "{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}" but there is no "REG_MULTI_SZ data type" here.

Thanks again for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom