Windows Vista x86 to Win 8.1 x64

spike47

Baseband Member
Hi
I have a PC with Win Vista x86 and I have a full original disc of Windows 8.1 x64 , I am wanting to do a fresh install and put Win 8.1 x64 onto it , but I just don't seem to be getting anywere .
tried to make a boot disc through Windows Media Creation tool , but my PC will not boot to it , tried a USB install using the same WMC tool but again no luck .
I am sure I have done this before but it is so long I have forgot how to do it .
I could remove the hdd and do a format from my other pc ! , maybe that is the way to go ! .
So the question is does anyone know a way to do it .

cheers

spike

I have a full original disc of Windows 8.1 x64

If you have the Windows 8.1 disk, use that to install and go into your bios and set your dvd drive to be the first device in the boot order. You are using a dvd drive correct?

If you have the Windows 8.1 disk, use that to install and go into your bios and set your dvd drive to be the first device in the boot order. You are using a dvd drive correct?[/

My 8.1 won't boot from the disk drive as first boot , my vista is 32x system , my Win 8.1 is 64x , !

Has nothing to do with having vista x32, You Boot From Your Bios to the DVD Drive.

I reckon that maybe you should have someone else do this for you

Has nothing to do with having vista x32, You Boot From Your Bios to the DVD Drive.

I reckon that maybe you should have someone else do this for you

Hi
Thanks for your reply , I didn't say it was because of x32 or x64 , I've just let you know what the situation is , has I have said before the 8.1 will not boot , have been into Bois to set the boot sequence to DVD Drive .

Been fixing pc's n laptops for over 20 years , I do know my way around computers

Cheers
Spike

My apologies....
When you state full original disk, do you mean a Microsoft disk or the pc manufactures disk the you get and or burn from the pc with their software?
If you have a Microsoft disk, make sure it isn't scratched or dirty, some times a dvd drive won't read a particular disk, dunno why but if you can, try a different dvd drive. You can also re-download the .iso and use Rufus to make an install usb from that. Some pc's do not like particular usb's to boot from also, so if one does not work try a different brand usb drive
Rufus;
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Last edited:
My apologies....
When you state full original disk, do you mean a Microsoft disk or the pc manufactures disk the you get and or burn from the pc with their software?
If you have a Microsoft disk, make sure it isn't scratched or dirty, some times a dvd drive won't read a particular disk, dunno why but if you can, try a different dvd drive. You can also re-download the .iso and use Rufus to make an install disk from that
Try Rufus;
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

^ This, Rufus is great
Pretty sure you can use the Media Creation Tool to create an .iso, then you can use Rufus to install that .iso to a USB stick and then boot to that USB. Other than changing the boot order in the bios some UEFI bios only boot to certain mediums so I would try Legacy if UEFI doesn't work. Another obstacle could be secureboot, if it is enabled then your bios isn't allowing any removable media to be bootable.

yup... you can create an .iso
Use the media creation tool (aprx. 1.41MB) to download Windows. This tool provides the best download experience for customers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. Tool includes:

File formats optimized for download speed.
Built in media creation options for USBs and DVDs.
Optional conversion to ISO file format.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Back
Top Bottom