Windows Vista / Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundforge

Solid State Member
Okay guys heres the problem.. My desktop PC will not load into windows and it cannot repair itself automatically. Also when I can get it to go to repair mode there is no date available to restore to a previous date. I currently have vista and have had it for a while.. I absolutely hate it anyways so would simply buying windows 7 and installing it solve my problems? Would all my files remain on the computer? Thanks

Wow what a great forum.. hour and a half..15 views..and no one can answer this basic question regarding installation of windows 7? really?:confused:

Take it easy, no one promises instant fixes on this forum.

You could buy an upgrade version of Win 7 and do an upgrade but if Vista is having issues, those issues may be propagated to Win 7.

What I would do is remove the HDD and attach it to another computer to copy off any data files I wanted to keep. Then re-install the HDD and do a clean install (format and install) of Win 7. You would need to re-install all of your apps then copy your data from where you saved it.

hey don't bash the forum. There are a lot of people who just simply read it and don't know the answer to the question you asked. I have done many installs of Windows 7, but to be honest I can't tell you for sure if your files will be there or not. If there is an issue with the current OS. Then it may not be able to access the files when you go to upgrade. Usually when you install on a hard drive partition that already has Windows it simply makes a folder called Windows.old or something similar. It will tell you when you go through the prompt windows for the install of Windows 7. It may not see your previous install if there is something missing not allowing it to boot. Best option is to get Windows 7 and start to install and if it sees the old installation then you should have your files. If it doesn't recognize your drive having a previous windows then you will need to copy your old files some how.

Does safemode work? Any details as to the errors that show when windows is loading? Where does it stop loading? Does it freeze? A few more details would be helpful.

If you did an upgrade it will keep your personal files and settings - but i wouldn't suggest this. Upgrading is NOT always smooth in the first place, then to add to that you can't load windows right now would only equate to a disaster IMO.

that is basically what i was saying. It will not be determinable if he can save his files. But if he did a clean install on another part of the hard drive he could get his files. or he could run it from the disk and back up his files? I think that is correct?

Under normal circumstances when you upgrade it keeps your old files and programs - but since windows won't even load we can't make that assumption.

If the drive was large enough he could use Gparted to partition the drive then install windows on the other partition. He could also connect the drive to another PC. The problem with BOTH of these solutions is that if windows does not shut down properly it marks the drive/partition as being used - because it was being used at one point. Windows must shut down properly to get past this issue.

A 'work around' that i've found (while extremely painful and time consuming) is to connect the drive to a PC running Vista / 7. Run windows backup on that drive and save that backup locally. Restore that backup to your local disk drive. Now you have to root through the various folders the backup created to find your files. It's a pain in the butt but if you need those files that is the only way to go.

When installing Windows 7 clean, and you choose to install it on the same partition as Vista, and NOT format it, then it will put the old files in a Windows.old folder under the C drive, actin as an "upgrade" of sorts, but is still a clean install. I've done this on my laptop when I didn't want to back everything up to an external source when I upgraded from Vista to 7 on it. Then I just moved the files from the Windows.old folder to their normal folders under 7, and it works fine. Been running fine for 2 years that way now.

Wow what a great forum.. hour and a half..15 views..and no one can answer this basic question regarding installation of windows 7? really?:confused:

Wow, what a great user! Expecting help for free that's instant! If you want us to help you that fast, then you better start paying us. We have jobs too, and we do this in our free time for our own enjoyment. If you're gonna ***** about getting free help...then wow.

Umadbro? Geeze.. Im not "*****ing about getting help for free".. Its not like I was asking how to assemble a processor from scratch.. just a simple question about upgrading windows.. I didnt expect to wait all day. I got a response from another forum in like 3 minutes. Thanks for the help though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom