Windows Vista Widgets/ RAM question. Sort of a double topic thread. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheOtis
Default Windows Vista Widgets/ RAM question. Sort of a double topic thread.

Disclaimer- Please, no Vista/Gadget flameing. Some of us has capable hardware and like to turn on eye candy and other things when we're not gaming

First part-

What Gadgets are you guys running and what sites do you guys go to get your Gadgets? Currently I'm running a memory reader, hard drive reader, CPU core usage reader, a bubble where you type in stuff and the computer talks (haha, it's fun), and a run prompt, where you can use it as a normal Run box and also type in a www. address.

Second part-

RAM question. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit and 4GB of DDR2-800 Patriot Viper Fin's @ 4-4-3-12 1T. The RAM reader one says this-

2961MB / 4093 MB
1135 MB / 28%

The top would lead you to believe I'm using up almost 3GB of memory by simply having widgets open and Internet Explorer. Which sounds extremely unreasonable. The lower part makes more sense and shows I'm using up just over 1GB of RAM, just over a quarter of it all.

Any idea on what the top could mean? It's the "Memory Meter".

Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Windows Vista Widgets/ RAM question. Sort of a double topic thread.

I run several gadget. Clock, Weather, CPU Monitor, Date, 2 Picutre Viewers. I only get my gadgets from the Windows Gallery.

The RAM question. It happens. After a few days of running the sidebar takes up a amazing amount of RAM. That process alone can take up to 1.5GB of RAM. Close it down and fully exit it and then restart it. Your RAM usage will drop dramaticlly.

Swe your assumptions are wrong. I run my laptop with 1GB of RAM and the sidebar. It barely uses more than 512MB WITH a browser and several tabs open.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Right now a process called "dwm.exe" is taking up most of it, 48,732k. Then iexplorer, and third highest is, of course, sidebar, taking up 21,120k.

I'm surprised it's not taking up more RAM then it actually is? I wonder how many widgets are possible to have open? I have downloaded a library of them in case I wan't to add or change ones later. I think just for the **** of it I'll put as many up as I can, I'm curious to see how much RAM this can really take up.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

dwm is the Desktop Window Manager also known as Aero. You can have 2 pages of gadgets as far as i know. There is the arrows at the top which will allow you to switch pages if you wish. I have not tested how many you can have as i dont like to flip pages to see the gadgets.

At one point i have had my sidebar taking up 2GB of my 3GB. That was a good one. :laughing:

Old 04-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Thanks for the explanation of dwm mak.

Haha, yea. Two pages is well,lame. Not very convenient. I'm going to tonight to see how much it takes up, I guess I'm curious.

2GB with the sidebar!! Bahahahaha. That's a LOT of RAM taken up.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Not a problem. I usually am multitaksing when i get the sidebar to act up. Running things like WinAmp for music, WMP for videos, IM windows, XFire, Browser, Photoshop, along with several Explorer Windows open.

So yeah i have lots going on at all times.

Sidebar was takin up 2GB and i had to restart the machine to get control of it again. That was a fun day.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Hahahaha. Finally got my comp to freeze.

Ran more then 15 gadgets, AVG scanning in the background, playing a song, more then 10 windows opened, and windows media center in the background. Oh, and two instances of Orthos. Doing CPU and RAM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Congrats i guess? :laughing:

At least you finally found your limit.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Haha, yea. That's not realistic at all. My "limit" is much higher then I needed. But 2GB was too small IMO, especially since I use 2.55 while gaming, I could have gone 3GB, but I wanted 2x dimms open.