windows Vista vs XP - Gaming Scene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kold_fusion

Beta member
hey there. how are all of my fellow forum masters doing. well, I wanted to ask you a question about the gaming scene on XP. here are a few points that I would LOVE to be cleared up if someone could do that in some form of detail.

1. if you have Windows XP games, are they automatically compatible with VISTA? or do you have to download some kind of PATCH for all XP games that you want to run on VISTA etc?

2.in windows XP vs. Vista, is there any difference whatsoever on the gaming platform? how stable is it to be? did they up the scene for PC gaming or what exactly happened here?

3. what will be the retail price for windows vista?

4. is it true that you need in excess of 20GB of space for this OS?

5. What is the Exact size of the complete OS after a fresh and complete install?

thanks for taking your time and checking out my post. and thanks for the insight!

keyser09 said:
ummm patch?im pretty sure the games can run with out a patch becuase the games arent based on the os they can be used on like for linux and stuff..im not sure wat u mean when u say patches...?and vista will be quite a bit when it comes out and will have fairly high expectations on the computer such a 512 of ram and 20gb hardrive i dont kno bout that

I'm afraid you're wrong there, games and programs need to be coded for a specific OS kernal. There are linux versions of some games like counterstrike for example but a standard windows version of counterstrike will not work on linux.
I don't know for sure but I expect vista will be largly compatable with XP games, some may need patchs but both OS's are based on the NT kernal so it should be largly cool.

2.in windows XP vs. Vista, is there any difference whatsoever on the gaming platform? how stable is it to be? did they up the scene for PC gaming or what exactly happened here?

the big difference will be that directx 10 is to be released on vista only i.e. the next generation of computer game graphics will only work on vista.

kold_fusion said:
hey there. how are all of my fellow forum masters doing. well, I wanted to ask you a question about the gaming scene on XP. here are a few points that I would LOVE to be cleared up if someone could do that in some form of detail.

1. if you have Windows XP games, are they automatically compatible with VISTA? or do you have to download some kind of PATCH for all XP games that you want to run on VISTA etc?

3. what will be the retail price for windows vista?

4. is it true that you need in excess of 20GB of space for this OS?

5. What is the Exact size of the complete OS after a fresh and complete install?

thanks for taking your time and checking out my post. and thanks for the insight!

Okay since i run Vista full time maybe i can help out.

1. Games do run on Vista just as they would on XP. I personally run Doom3, PainKiller, Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Halo and UT2004. Some games do pose a problem. Steam based games dont run so well just yet. I have had some conflicts with BF2. Other than that games run jsut fine.

2. Vista Vs. XP for gaming cant really be compared. Vista will tout DX10 which XP will never have. Vista requires higher Video Card specs and therefor give you more of a advanteage on the Video front. So this question really cant be answered until Vista Specific games are released and you can fully test a XP Vs. Vista game.

3. Vista will range anywhere from $100-$400 depending on which version you wish to acquire.

4. Yes Vista does ask for you to have 20GB of free space for a nice clean install.

5. Exact size does vary depending on which Version you install. I personally run Vista Ultimate which can be up to 8GB after install. I cant give the exact size since i dont quite remember and i always install apps right away.

i tried a some game on Vista and they work #1! Don't forget to install directX 9 (install without problem on vista)

Games tried :( Serious Sam 2, Flatout 2 and Company of Heroes)

On a 64bit Vista system!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom