windows Vista vs XP - Gaming Scene? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Send a message via AIM to kold_fusion
Lightbulb windows Vista vs XP - Gaming Scene?

hey there. how are all of my fellow forum masters doing. well, I wanted to ask you a question about the gaming scene on XP. here are a few points that I would LOVE to be cleared up if someone could do that in some form of detail.

1. if you have Windows XP games, are they automatically compatible with VISTA? or do you have to download some kind of PATCH for all XP games that you want to run on VISTA etc?

2.in windows XP vs. Vista, is there any difference whatsoever on the gaming platform? how stable is it to be? did they up the scene for PC gaming or what exactly happened here?

3. what will be the retail price for windows vista?

4. is it true that you need in excess of 20GB of space for this OS?

5. What is the Exact size of the complete OS after a fresh and complete install?


thanks for taking your time and checking out my post. and thanks for the insight!
__________________

kold_fusion is offline  
Old 11-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 602
Default

ok
__________________

keyser09 is offline  
Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
MrCoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by keyser09
ummm patch?im pretty sure the games can run with out a patch becuase the games arent based on the os they can be used on like for linux and stuff..im not sure wat u mean when u say patches...?and vista will be quite a bit when it comes out and will have fairly high expectations on the computer such a 512 of ram and 20gb hardrive i dont kno bout that
I'm afraid you're wrong there, games and programs need to be coded for a specific OS kernal. There are linux versions of some games like counterstrike for example but a standard windows version of counterstrike will not work on linux.
I don't know for sure but I expect vista will be largly compatable with XP games, some may need patchs but both OS's are based on the NT kernal so it should be largly cool.

Quote:
2.in windows XP vs. Vista, is there any difference whatsoever on the gaming platform? how stable is it to be? did they up the scene for PC gaming or what exactly happened here?
the big difference will be that directx 10 is to be released on vista only i.e. the next generation of computer game graphics will only work on vista.
__________________
Intel core I7 920
GA-EX58-UD3R
6GB OCZ platinum 1600
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
MrCoffee is offline  
Old 11-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,012
Default

I'm pretty sure vista games will work on xp with directx 9.L
more info here

http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=35110
__________________
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2Ghz
16GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 Ram
Crucial M500 240GB SSD (boot drive)
500GB WD 5000AAKX-001CA0
1.5 TB Seagate ST1500DM003
Zotac Geforce GTX 950 2GB GDDR5
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
mikee is offline  
Old 11-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: windows Vista vs XP - Gaming Scene?

Quote:
Originally posted by kold_fusion
hey there. how are all of my fellow forum masters doing. well, I wanted to ask you a question about the gaming scene on XP. here are a few points that I would LOVE to be cleared up if someone could do that in some form of detail.

1. if you have Windows XP games, are they automatically compatible with VISTA? or do you have to download some kind of PATCH for all XP games that you want to run on VISTA etc?

2.in windows XP vs. Vista, is there any difference whatsoever on the gaming platform? how stable is it to be? did they up the scene for PC gaming or what exactly happened here?

3. what will be the retail price for windows vista?

4. is it true that you need in excess of 20GB of space for this OS?

5. What is the Exact size of the complete OS after a fresh and complete install?


thanks for taking your time and checking out my post. and thanks for the insight!
Okay since i run Vista full time maybe i can help out.

1. Games do run on Vista just as they would on XP. I personally run Doom3, PainKiller, Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Halo and UT2004. Some games do pose a problem. Steam based games dont run so well just yet. I have had some conflicts with BF2. Other than that games run jsut fine.

2. Vista Vs. XP for gaming cant really be compared. Vista will tout DX10 which XP will never have. Vista requires higher Video Card specs and therefor give you more of a advanteage on the Video front. So this question really cant be answered until Vista Specific games are released and you can fully test a XP Vs. Vista game.

3. Vista will range anywhere from $100-$400 depending on which version you wish to acquire.

4. Yes Vista does ask for you to have 20GB of free space for a nice clean install.

5. Exact size does vary depending on which Version you install. I personally run Vista Ultimate which can be up to 8GB after install. I cant give the exact size since i dont quite remember and i always install apps right away.
__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline  
Old 11-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 19
Default

i tried a some game on Vista and they work #1! Don't forget to install directX 9 (install without problem on vista)

Games tried Serious Sam 2, Flatout 2 and Company of Heroes)

On a 64bit Vista system!
Dup84 is offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 06:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baronvongogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: United Kingdom, Warrington
Posts: 2,756
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mikee
I'm pretty sure vista games will work on xp with directx 9.L
more info here

http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=35110
sorry dude the inquirer where wrong as usual.

their apology for wrong information:
http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=35140
__________________

__________________
baronvongogo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.