Windows Vista updates causing webcam to not load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i dont know the inside workings of Skype. So i can't say for 110% certainty that what i am saying is the issue. But from what it sounds like, it is very much the issue with the fact that M$ released a update to Messenger and blocked out the old versions. Which is what Skype piggybacked on instead of using their own.

Well i dont know the inside workings of Skype. So i can't say for 110% certainty that what i am saying is the issue. But from what it sounds like, it is very much the issue with the fact that M$ released a update to Messenger and blocked out the old versions. Which is what Skype piggybacked on instead of using their own.

It has to be what you're saying because she tried loading her webcam on AIM and it showed up just fine. And her webcam was loading just fine on Skype until she went to download the Vista updates and since then....nothing.

Then it most definately sounds like what i am saying. For the time being she could try Trillian or Pidgin. As they are IM clients that work for multiple sources like MSN and Google Talk and such. Maybe that will allow her to use her Webcam with Skype??

Then it most definately sounds like what i am saying. For the time being she could try Trillian or Pidgin. As they are IM clients that work for multiple sources like MSN and Google Talk and such. Maybe that will allow her to use her Webcam with Skype??

Thanks, I'll most definitely suggest that. I wonder how long it's going to take Skype to realize they need to update their software?

Who knows. Just a question but why does she use Skype instead of something like WLM? they have the call option so it is just like making a phone call with the PC. Plus you can do live webcam chats and such. Just trying to figure out why Skype is the preferred software of choice over so many other options.

Who knows. Just a question but why does she use Skype instead of something like WLM? they have the call option so it is just like making a phone call with the PC. Plus you can do live webcam chats and such. Just trying to figure out why Skype is the preferred software of choice over so many other options.

Well, just from my experience with doing video chats on AIM, WLM and Skype, I prefer Skype because the video screen is a lot bigger than the other two. AIM is a little tiny window and so is WLM, with no way of resizing it. Also, with Skype 4.1 you can now share your screen with whomever you're chatting with, which the other two don't have. So video screen size and screen sharing are the two reasons why I prefer Skype over the other two.

Okay. Was just a question with a good answer. Like i said try Trillian or Pidgin. They may work for your purpose.

Good question. I dont use the software myself. I know of it. It maybe Pidgin that i am thinking of that has the video options.

I just downloaded Pidgin and it doesn't even support Skype on there. Trillian supports just about everything, but I don't see a video option. I'll have to look around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom