Windows Vista Ultimate installed half way and then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all!

I just put together the following new build:

Windows Vista Ultimate
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L
Intel Q6600
Infinity ATX PSU 600W
4GB DDR2 Crucial 800 mHz
E-GeForce 8500GT 1GB
Memorex X16 Dual Layer DVD
Western Digital SATA 320 GB
Maxtor SATAII 1TB

When I began to install windows vista ultimate, it stopped [seemed to freeze up for about an hour].

I hit my reset button, and now windows message tells me that windows was not installed properly and that I must install it again. But the problem is each time I click the button that says to reinstall, I keep getting the same message...and the system just keeps rebooting over and over again.

So I seem to be stuck right here and I am not sure how to move forward.

Can someone help me get out this reoccurring nightmare?

I am using the Western Digital as my primary HD. I did partition it so only 100 GB would be used for the OS. Is there some way I can repartition the HD and if so how, and what size do ya recommend?

Also, how can I wipe everything clean and start over?

Also, has anyone else ever experienced this issue? [The last machine I installed ultimate on worked pretty much flawlessly!]

I really need help please.

Thanks,

Soarwitheagles

Google for 'GParted' and download the ISO. Burn it with ImgBurn (or any other ISO burning software you may already have), and boot off of it. Make sure you have any other drives turned off or removed, so you don't mistakenly format them. Use the GParted disc to format the Vista partition (full NTFS format; Vista only does a quick format). Then try re-installing. It may take a while..let it do its thing.

have you tried installing it using only 2gb of ram?give it a try if you havent done it yet.

have you tried installing it using only 2gb of ram?give it a try if you havent done it yet.

Good catch...didn't notice that.

Some people seem to have problems with 4GB of RAM trying to install Vista...usually works with 2GB though. Give that a try.

Still having problems attempting to install windows Vista Ultimate

Hi again!

Well, I tried to wipe my drives clean and then do a clean install....I tried Gparted but kind a got lost in the process and I am not sure if it cleaned off my harddrive.

Well, after using Gparted, I am having the same exact problem [in fact I think it is the same issue].

When I attempt to install windows vista ultimate, the screen shows the following words:

Copying Files
Expanding Files
Installing Features
Installing Updates

Each seems to be ok up to this point...then....

Completing Installation [and this is when the computer just seems to stop and freeze up for hours]. Last time I did a force restart when this occurred and then I began to receive the message that windows not installed correctly and needed to be reinstalled.

So, my computer is still in the mode with the "completing installation." I have not tried to restart yet in the hopes it would eventually say all is ok.

Please, can anyone give me some advice as to what is wrong and how to correct this nightmare?

Last, I did remove the extra stick of RAM and am trying the new install with just one stick.

I also attempted to wipe my HD clean with the recommended software but I am not sure that worked.

Please, someone help me.

Thank you,

Trying to...

Soarwithbrokeneagleswings

What's the size of the partition you are installing to? If you can, run a disk test to check the disks integrity.

Google for 'GParted' and download the ISO. Burn it with ImgBurn (or any other ISO burning software you may already have), and boot off of it. Make sure you have any other drives turned off or removed, so you don't mistakenly format them. Use the GParted disc to format the Vista partition (full NTFS format; Vista only does a quick format). Then try re-installing. It may take a while..let it do its thing.

Carnage,

I downloaded the GParted and burned it to a disc using Nero. But I am not sure how it works. I ran the program but I do not see how to format my drives.

Can you give me some clues?

Thanks,

Soar

Carnage,

I downloaded the GParted and burned it to a disc using Nero. But I am not sure how it works. I ran the program but I do not see how to format my drives.

Can you give me some clues?

Thanks,

Soar

Did you get the LiveCD version?

And you have to right-click the partition once you've booted into GParted, and then choose to Format to NTFS, and then click Apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom