Windows Vista... Slide Down the Bench - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Windows Vista... Slide Down the Bench

Windows Vista hasn't even been released yet and already Microsoft is releasing information on a new OS with absolutely no ties with "Windows", it’s called "Singularity". That's right no more Windows. Singularity is a prototype of a microkernel based OS written with no roots in Windows made up of 300,000 lines of code all from scratch.

But the OS is currently written entirely in a combination of Microsoft's C# programming language, as well as a new version of C#, named "Sing#". Microsoft’s goal is to write the entire OS using only Sing#. The singularity team says that that Singularity is most likely to be found in the embedded OS space or the Server OS market.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Singularity is a research project focused on the construction of dependable systems through innovation in the areas of systems, languages, and tools. We are building a research operating system prototype (called Singularity), extending programming languages, and developing new techniques and tools for specifying and verifying program behavior.

Advances in languages, compilers, and tools open the possibility of significantly improving software. For example, Singularity uses type-safe languages and an abstract instruction set to enable what we call Software Isolated Processes (SIPs). SIPs provide the strong isolation guarantees of OS processes (isolated object space, separate GCs, separate runtimes) without the overhead of hardware-enforced protection domains. In the current Singularity prototype SIPs are extremely cheap; they run in ring 0 in the kernel’s address space.

Singularity uses these advances to build more reliable systems and applications. For example, because SIPs are so cheap to create and enforce, Singularity runs each program, device driver, or system extension in its own SIP. SIPs are not allowed to share memory or modify their own code. As a result, we can make strong reliability guarantees about the code running in a SIP. We can verify much broader properties about a SIP at compile or install time than can be done for code running in traditional OS processes. Broader

http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/

Old 11-09-2005, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

And what becomes of Blackcomb I wonder.

Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 11-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
made up of 300,000 lines of code all from scratch.
I think id go absolutely mad writing 300 000 lines of code from scratch!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

I’ll believe it when I see it.

-GrayWolf
Old 11-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Amd2800 Send a message via AIM to Amd2800 Send a message via Yahoo to Amd2800

is it downloadable

Dell Studio 1747 Laptop
CPU : Intel I7 - Q720 @ 1.66Ghz - Ram: 4GB Ram DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel - Mobo : Dell - HDD: 2x 500GB Sata 2 - OS1: Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Quote:
I want a processor in my brain..... Can i upgrade my ram?

Old 11-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

It's not even complete yet as far as I know...so I don't believe it would be downloadable.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Dark_Sniper* Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Sniper*

Another form of C# called Siing# wow would be cool but whats the big advantage from using it. Plus we will see how much good comes out of it. And if programmers will be able to learn this sing# as if its close form of C#.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Amd2800
is it downloadable
No it isn't nor is XP or Vista you pay for an OS.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 11-14-2005, 01:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Dark_Sniper* Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Sniper*

Quote:
Originally posted by Amd2800
is it downloadable

legally yes you have to other wise you can but you will be found and mit get arrested for pirting software. But i havent seen that happen for a whlie.