Windows Vista RC2 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
Well this weekend i dual booted windows xp and vista... i used this website to help me out: http://www.lifehacker.com/software/...-boot-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-179906.php

So far everything is working well.. but

I have the following games:
Bf2
HalfLife2- Counterstrike:Source - Day of Defeat
Quake4
Hitman Blood Money
Civ4Warlords
Bf2142 beta and demo
and many many more...

all of them were slower on vista, and half of them wouldnt even let me connect to servers because my OS wasnt supported

Whenever i played a game it would seem that i didnt have enough ram, i mean the game would skip and lagg whenever i got into a jet or started running in a new area

I mean im getting Vista primarily for gaming and DX10. If my older games wont work well on vista then im not sure if im interested in getting rid of XP...

Besides gaming vista is awesome, i mean it looks so cool and seems to be extremly stable, whenever a process or something freezes, ive always been able to cntrl-alt-del out of it.

It looks cool too, it seems so professional and "crisp"

My favorite part of Windows Vista is the speech recognition.. omg its awesome, its so cool... the hassel is training the speech recognition to your voice by reading long boring sentences..

It can recognise most peoples voice, but you have to talk sorta bland in order for it to register accuratly...

theirs also another feature that i love, the bass boost. You can very easily turn up the bass of your music/games

In conclusion:
Vista looks cool, but its not worth $400..
I also dont like the new handicap feature they are putting on it only making you able to use the key twice.. this means everytime you change a motherboard or whatever, u have to pay another $150-400 to get the OS (this will only lead to more hacking)

Games, well vista has the potential. But i dont see it yet. Hopefully in the final release DX10 will live up to its hype. And so will these mystery features microsoft is hiding in the "ultimate" edition

Is this going to be another Millinium failure.. or another big success, only time will tell.

You have to remember...just as i have said before. Vista is a Beta OS. Games will NOT run on it smoothly. Just as games that were made for 9x dont run on XP smoothly until after the patches were made.

Same thing. We have to wait for the game developers to make the patches to allow the games to run on Vista smoothly. But that wont be done till after Vista is finally released.

Overall i have been able to do EVERYTHING that i have done in XP in Vista 5744. From downloading to burning ISO's and music CD's. Surfing the net is no problem. I have recorded things from the net.

All in all for a OS i think Vista is just fine. Yes gaming sucks but it did back when XP was in Beta. But look at it now. That will come around but you have to give it time.

Dont judge the eggs before they are cooked.

we all have to let go eventually...the best games for me were in Dos and Win95...but i have to move on! :)

But the more you test the more you realize it's not the OS at fault...

Example:
2 games, same engine...one works flawless...another either doesn't or works but looks ugly. Dang hack coding! :p

I really miss my old games. I like the new OS and MS apps...but I miss my old "old man" games...pinball...at least there's included mahjong, though there are better ones out there. :)

Pinball is the forgotten genre! Darn you kids and your fancy 3d!

:D

Back to the point (lol)...some of the performance is partially the gpu chip makers getting out their finalized drivers. And of course Nvidia's will be better...slim chance ATI's might be better but eh...

lol atomic, u know better dont make this thread into an "ATI vs Nvidia" topic.

But man, vista looks way cooler than any OS ive ever seen. It just looks so cool, and it runs soooo smooth, they did a good job with programming it. I used vista a little more and just found out that it had that cool thing where all the windows would line up and you could scroll thru them to pick which one was on the top (hopefully you know what im talking about :))

I also tried out dual screen on it, i used two different resolutions, 800x600 and 1024x768.. and unlike xp it had the option to pick the resolution for EACH monitor, not just them combined. Therfor making my 800x600 desktop look right...

I am DEFINATLY getting Vista Ultimate (doing whatever i have to do ;))

Hopefully, just hopefully DX10 will be as good as i imagine it will be.. if Crysis is just coming out with DX10 imagine what some of the later games using DX10 would look like :/

btw, i got my Xfi to work with it (with vistabeta xfi drivers)
and the music can get sooo louder without distortion on vista compared to xp, im still pondering why

alexsabree-
Go to your Start Menu and open the creative Sound Control Panel. Make sure it is set for the amount of speakers that you have. I know my by default set itself to 2.1 speakers when i run 5.1. After i reset it to 5.1 everythign was louder and sounded right.

what do u mean? i have a 2.1 sound system, i also configured my sound right, and i regularly check the sound settings whenever i start Bf2142 just to make sure it will sound good :p

Its kinda weird, i mean it seems as tho the sound sounds better on Vista, maybe its just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom