Windows Vista Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1311

Solid State Member
Hi everyone- I have a couple of questions about windows vista.

Will programmes designed to run on XP still work if installed on a vista OS? Looking through software I am likely to purchase, the minimum requirements state XP for example-will this run on vista?

Would a 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900GS be compatible-and run all todays games on vista with its direct x9? (I know direct x10 is due, but my gaming needs cant justify all that extra expense!)

Is there any major concerns or problems associated with vista at this point-as i'm just about to buy a vista PC?

Thanks for all your help-its appreciated very much

AV1311

Some software will work, Others will not. It depends on where they write to in the instillation.

If you already have the hardware/software you can use the windows vista advisory tool.

It gives you the low down, Word.

P.s. I would hold off on vista till the first service pack to be honest, Although i have it installed and it seems fine, theres a few programmes that dont work. but i'm dual booting at the moment.

To second answer that.

Your 7900GS would definitly be compatible and run your games, the big thing though is RAM. How much RAM do you have? I would recommend at least 1.5Gigs running Vista & gaming

'Your 7900GS would definitly be compatible and run your games, the big thing though is RAM. How much RAM do you have? I would recommend at least 1.5Gigs running Vista & gaming'

I will have 2GB RAM in the machine. Typical programmes i use is internet explorer, word, i tunes and canon photography software.
Would youe expect these to run on vista with no problems?

Will MS be releasing a service pack to fix these problems? and if so is there any indication as to when?

Thanks for your replies

AV1311

I have found most programs designed for xp work within vista. Many times you need to go to the properties of the executable and click on compatability and run the app in xp service pack 2 mode. Same as backwards compatibility mode in xp. Nero is the only software that I have that would not work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom