Windows Vista and memory recognition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwm1150

Solid State Member
Ok, I have a machine with Windows home edition 32bit installed on it. The system is mainly used for gaming. I had a lot of issues with the system but figured out I had a bad memory stick today. I have two good 1gb sticks installed right now. I understand that Vista 32 bit won't recognize more that 3gb of memory? My question is if I bought 2 2gb sticks and put them in would that benefit the system at all or should I just bump it to 3 gb total and call it good? I would really like to run about 6gb but I know that will require an OS change. Thoughts?

Should just bump it up to 4GB. 32-bit can only see 3.7GB, minus however much memory your GPU has. If you bump it up to 4GB now, you'll have the maximum it can take (probably more than if you just went to 3GB), plus you'll have more if you ever go 64-bit.

Vista will recognize all 4GB installed and report 4GB installed but only 3.7GB will be usable. If you go to 6GB it will require you to reinstall completely with the 64bit version. You cant upgrade from 32 bit to 64 Bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom