Windows Vista Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tankhead02

In Runtime
I have a question .....

I have a new laptop with window's vista. It's connected to my network wirelessly. the problem is when i close the laptop screen down..and it when i open it up it has a welcome screen and I have to click on my username(it's only one) and i have to wait for like a minute for it to connect back to the network. How can I either make the computer stay connected to the internet while it's closed or how can I stop the welcome screen from coming on every time I close the laptop down.

Thanks

Well i just got my laptop today and i am the only user yet mine doesnt go to the log in screen when i close my screen.

I checked under User Accounts and there isnt a option in there anymore to change the way you log on or off. So that one i will have to get back to you on.

With Vista when it goes into standby mode (aka closing the laptop) you lose all connections. WiFi and many other connections get severed. This is to conserve power. I dont know if there is a way to stay connected to a Wifi network as i dont use one. But i will see if i can find any answers for you.

Go to the control panel >power options> Sdvanced (tab) and there should be a drop down menu entitled "WHen I clsoe the lid on my laptop..." or some such. You can choose between Hibernate, Standby, Shutdown, or Do Nothing. You'd probably want it on Do Nothing to keep all of your connections and not have to deal with the Welcome Screen.

That's how to do it in XP, but I don't think Vista would be much different.

Well this is the first laptop i am working with so i dont know all the details just yet.

But if you right click on your desktop>properties>screensaver>Change Power Settings. There a screen will pop up with all the power option. On the left hand side there is a small option in there. "Choose what closing the lid does"

In there you will find all the options to prevent this from happening. Thanks jorsoft for the tip on where to find it. It is almost exactly like XP. Just has a couple of different ways to get to it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom