Windows Vista installation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twalker323

Baseband Member
hey had a couple of question for windows vista installation

one: is there two types of windows vista installation cds that you can purchase (not talking about basics, premium and that type)? if i remember correctly wasnt there a type of windows vista cd for a person with a blank computer (no os orignally on, just completely empty). And wasnt there a different cd for someone who is trying to upgrade from lets say, windows xp and they want to put in windows vista? That was the case for older OS like windows 2000. I wanted to see if that was still the case

two: officially speeaking, if you purchase an OS, are you able to legittly install it on multiple computers?

One: You can buy multiple types of the vista OS, the one which is the cheapest which I think pretty much anyone buys unless they're fobbed off is the OEM version, this can be installed via the desktop with the upgrade option or it can be installed on bootup and you can carry out a clean install.

Two: You can but it goes against Microsoft's license agreement, in other words it's illegal. You can however buy copies which are allowed to be installed on more than one system.

Good Luck

One: You can buy multiple types of the vista OS, the one which is the cheapest which I think pretty much anyone buys unless they're fobbed off is the OEM version, this can be installed via the desktop with the upgrade option or it can be installed on bootup and you can carry out a clean install.

Two: You can but it goes against Microsoft's license agreement, in other words it's illegal. You can however buy copies which are allowed to be installed on more than one system.

Good Luck

question one is a little hard to understand.. didnt quite get what i meant

okay so i am not talking about windows vista premium, windows vista basics, windows vista office, that kind of different window vistas

Back in the day (during windows 2000 days), you had to purchase different OS cds depending on your situation. If i had a situation where i custom built a computer myself, and needed to put in a OS on a computer with nothing on it, i had to buy a different windows cd (with a different price). If i had a computer with a windows 95 already on it however, i had to buy a different type of OS from the one mentioned before completely (also with a different price). I am asking now, is that policy still the same

You are talking about Upgrade versus full install. You do not need to purchase or have to purchase a upgrade version if you have or currently have XP installed. You can get the full version. But you will have to install it seperately and lose your current install information.

It was NEVER Microsoft's policy that you HAD to buy a upgrade version if you owned a pervious version. You always had the option to choose.

You are talking about Upgrade versus full install. You do not need to purchase or have to purchase a upgrade version if you have or currently have XP installed. You can get the full version. But you will have to install it seperately and lose your current install information.

It was NEVER Microsoft's policy that you HAD to buy a upgrade version if you owned a pervious version. You always had the option to choose.

hahaha... man i must be phrasing the question very awkwardly. Well you got my geist though

so theres two types of windows OS installation package i can buy right? a full installation versus an upgrade

that was my question

Yes there are 2 options in that sense. 4 if you want to get technical.

OEM Full
OEM Upgrade
Retail Full
Retail Upgrade

You will pay more for the retail version than OEM and more for Full over Upgrade. So in order of price it should be:

OEM Upgrade
OEM Full
Retail Upgrade
Retail Full

You might see the OEM full and the Retail Upgrade switch depending on deals and such.

Yes there are 2 options in that sense. 4 if you want to get technical.

OEM Full
OEM Upgrade
Retail Full
Retail Upgrade

You will pay more for the retail version than OEM and more for Full over Upgrade. So in order of price it should be:

OEM Upgrade
OEM Full
Retail Upgrade
Retail Full

You might see the OEM full and the Retail Upgrade switch depending on deals and such.

what is the difference between OEM and retail?

and what about my second question to my original post, do you know?

thank you for the help!

In the read first topic.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/differences-between-oem-retail-171393/#post1349335

Also the answer to your 2nd question. No. You buy the OS with the serial. It is for 1 PC only. Only if you purchase a Retail copy could you activate more than once. Even then you have to fully remove the OS from the first PC before you could even technically legally install it on the 2nd. This is per the EULA and TOS of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom