Windows Vista Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
ECTech,

The Vista drivers are there. I have installed Vista since it was a BETA on a Dimension 8400. EVERY driver is there. Even the modem. The Nic Card was there and everything. I installed my own sound card, video card so i got my own drivers. But everything was there. Please read my post. I already stated ALL of this.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

First off, yes a Dimension 8400 can be upgraded to Vista. I have a Dimension 8400 and ALL of my hardware gets installed with Vista. SATA hard drives and all. First go to Microsoft and get the Vista Upgrade Advisor.

Get Windows Vista: Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

That will tell you if you SHOULD upgrade to Vista. I have only because i have taken all of my RAM out and replaced it with 3GB of good stuff. Let alone everything else i ahve done with this PC.

Dell doesnt provide drivers for the 8400 and Vista. Some of the sties say they do but they dont. But as i have already said you will have all the drivers you need with the install. Just fine out if you should first. Running Vista on a stock 8400 is NOT recommended.

Cheers,
Mak

Also XP's support doesnt end until 2014.

Microsoft Support Lifecycle

You are wrong saying that it end in April of 2009.

In a world of computing where vendors decide not support their own hardware for with updated drivers I elected not to go ahead and install VISTA. The risk of a system meltdown was high as generic drivers give no reasonable level of assurance. No DELL approved drivers are available for the DELL 8400 as has already been mentioned. I believe you that the system can work but you did not say that performance might be rather dismal. Not worth the upgrade; not worth the buck; not worth the time especially when Windows 7 they say will be released relatively soon. And XP's days are numbered as of April, 2009 based on your chart. Some level of support will continue for service packs as has already been implied in my previous post.

Unfortunately, NEWEGG will not accept a return.

A stock Dell Dimension 8400 would not run VIsta well cause it has only 1GB of RAM. That was a high configuration as well. My Dimension has 3GB as i have upgraded everything but the mobo and CPU. That is why my performance is so much better.

Also the regular support my stop on Aplil 14, 2009 but the extended support goes till April 8, 2014. Which means you can still get support from Microsoft till that date. Not the one in 2009 since XP is used on all EEEPC's right now.

Windows 7 is slated for a late 2009 or early 2010 release. But if Vista is any indication as to Microsoft and their release date announcements you can bet that you will not see Windows 7 till 2011 or so which is when it was originally expected. If you wish to sell you Vista that is fine. Plus this is not the forum to try and sell. That is the BST area which you need 40 posts to post in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom