Windows Vista Discussion - Page 73 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 07:30 AM   #721 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by blake67t
Vista @ 99 USD, omg what are you thinking? I will bet you a million dollars its much higher than that, XPP isnt even that low.
I said START at $99 USD. That means the Starter edition will be that much. The Starter Edition will not be readily available as the rest since M$ wants you to spend more $$. So the version compariable to XP Home will be about $150 and upwards. Also XP is that low. I have found XP Pro for $50-$80 depending on the rebates and sales the some webites are offering at the time. Apparently you dont know all the sites to look at to find the best deals.

As for your comments aobut people being left behind. Tyler is right and wrong on that aspect. The new Office "12" that is being designed will NOT run on anything less than 2000. It has been stated as such by the developers. (I know i am an official tester and have asked this question on the newsgroups already) Most of hte new software that M$ is developing: MSN Live Messenger, OneCare Live, Office Live, pretty much anything to do with the new Live.com site will not run on anything less than 2000. M$ doesnt support 98 anymore and therefor are not making the software compatable to run on it. 2000 will not be supported past (i believe) 2007, and XP will not be supported past 2008. M$ is trying to force everyone to update their software. Not saying that they will succeed but they are gonna try to force everyone to update.

M$ doesnt have to make ALL their software compatable with ALL of their OS's. 95 and 98 are now considered abandonware. They are no longer supported and therefor they do not have to make software compatable with it. So if you do decide to run some of the new software you might be left out. I am not saying that everyone should go out and upgrade. Heck i dont even plan on getting Vista till 2008 myself. My point is that in time companies phase out the support and products that work with older software to force people to upgrade to newer versions. It is the same in all fields. Car manufactorer do the same thing. Can you just walk into a store and find parts to a Ford Model T? Dont think so why. Cause it is no longer manufactored.

I also speak from experience. I am a tech supprt person myself. I have built over 3 dozen PC's for people (on my own time) and fully support them. That is along with my job where i fix all the problems that people make for themselves. So in the end the software developers can force a person to upgrade by not supporting older versions of a OS. Just like game developers dont support Linux or OS X heavily.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 12-07-2005, 05:35 PM   #722 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Old Outdatted data should not be used but yes I still hold the idea you will be left behind. The only supported operating systems out there are currently Server 2003 and XP Windows 2000 was discontinued last summer sometime.

Mak I know what you said was true but it does come as a suprise as Win2K is discontinued.

Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 12-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #723 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler1989
Windows 2000 was discontinued last summer sometime.

at least 20 people showed you links to show that MS changed their postion on that and extended their support on windows 2000, yet you keep saying that 2000 support is discontinued. no, it is not.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #724 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

So they said it was discontinued then they changed their mind? Do give the link again.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 12-07-2005, 07:04 PM   #725 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

they said that they will extend support for it. enuff people have shown you links saying that
Old 12-07-2005, 07:25 PM   #726 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Yes I know about the extend report but it will no longer get any of the software updates. Only small hot fixes from what I read. SP4 Rollup 1.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #727 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Amd2800 Send a message via AIM to Amd2800 Send a message via Yahoo to Amd2800

Quote:
Originally posted by Makaveli213
I said START at $99 USD. That means the Starter edition will be that much. The Starter Edition will not be readily available as the rest since M$ wants you to spend more $$. So the version compariable to XP Home will be about $150 and upwards. Also XP is that low. I have found XP Pro for $50-$80 depending on the rebates and sales the some webites are offering at the time. Apparently you dont know all the sites to look at to find the best deals.

As for your comments aobut people being left behind. Tyler is right and wrong on that aspect. The new Office "12" that is being designed will NOT run on anything less than 2000. It has been stated as such by the developers. (I know i am an official tester and have asked this question on the newsgroups already) Most of hte new software that M$ is developing: MSN Live Messenger, OneCare Live, Office Live, pretty much anything to do with the new Live.com site will not run on anything less than 2000. M$ doesnt support 98 anymore and therefor are not making the software compatable to run on it. 2000 will not be supported past (i believe) 2007, and XP will not be supported past 2008. M$ is trying to force everyone to update their software. Not saying that they will succeed but they are gonna try to force everyone to update.

M$ doesnt have to make ALL their software compatable with ALL of their OS's. 95 and 98 are now considered abandonware. They are no longer supported and therefor they do not have to make software compatable with it. So if you do decide to run some of the new software you might be left out. I am not saying that everyone should go out and upgrade. Heck i dont even plan on getting Vista till 2008 myself. My point is that in time companies phase out the support and products that work with older software to force people to upgrade to newer versions. It is the same in all fields. Car manufactorer do the same thing. Can you just walk into a store and find parts to a Ford Model T? Dont think so why. Cause it is no longer manufactored.

I also speak from experience. I am a tech supprt person myself. I have built over 3 dozen PC's for people (on my own time) and fully support them. That is along with my job where i fix all the problems that people make for themselves. So in the end the software developers can force a person to upgrade by not supporting older versions of a OS. Just like game developers dont support Linux or OS X heavily.
people wont buy it ..they will get it off friends etc they will crack it ..and use it dont say they wont because they will

Dell Studio 1747 Laptop
CPU : Intel I7 - Q720 @ 1.66Ghz - Ram: 4GB Ram DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel - Mobo : Dell - HDD: 2x 500GB Sata 2 - OS1: Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Quote:
I want a processor in my brain..... Can i upgrade my ram?

Old 12-09-2005, 02:02 AM   #728 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

With the new activation and things that they are doing it is getting tough to just "Get it off friends". I am testing this and everytime it leaks the serial that leaks gets blacklisted ASAP. So if this does happen the serila wont activate and you will only have an OS for 14 days. They are keeping kinda close eye on this OS. This is M$ baby. They cant have what happened with XP happen again.

I am not saying that people wont. I am not saying that there wont be ways around it. I am just saying whith what they are talking about for specs (Right now) and what they are talking aobut for security that it just might not be worth it to upgrade right away.

Eventually everyone will use Vista. Even me. But i wont right after it gets released. To many patches and bugs will be discovered right away. I wil stick with the security of XP for about a year till they work out the kinks of Vista.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:30 AM   #729 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

If Vista is going to be cheaper - less people will pirate it. Even if there is amazing security measures to stop pirates - they will always find a way - that is the truth of the matter.

If Vista is well priced (and a decent OS) i will buy it.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #730 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by waynejkruse10
If Vista is going to be cheaper - less people will pirate it. Even if there is amazing security measures to stop pirates - they will always find a way - that is the truth of the matter.

If Vista is well priced (and a decent OS) i will buy it.
That is the whole reasoning behind the lower price of Vista. I wont argue about the fact that there will be ways around it. Nor will anything stop pirates. But M$ finally realized that lower the price might prevent people from pirating as much. If the price is low i will buy a copy. As i did with XP when it dropped after a couple years.

Closed Thread