Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean Codename Longhorn? There were all sorts of builds leaked. The earliest ones that were leaked were 3683. Most of the older builds up to and including 4074 dont install anymore. They have reached their timebomb limit. So now you are either going to have to turn back your system clock or just get the newer ones.

As for your question...Wayne is right. MSDN is the only legit way. I dont know if they allow you to get the older versions or not. But that would be it. They are not accepting anymore entries intot he beta testing so that is out. But Beta 2 is supposed to be public and now that that is pushed back to Jan or Feb or who knows might as well wait for that.

Mak is that why my keys are not working anymore I cannot install 4047 and 5048.

Also I don't know why anyone wants a pre beta anymore since the first has already been released and there are newer builds than that.

Also mak you mentioned you cannot do anything unless you are the admin. Isn't it just to oposite this time and limated accounts actually are usefull. The protection will prompt you for a password whenever you need to perform an administer based action from what I thought. I think the early release of this feature was even in the October CTP.

Microsoft has started talking publicly about "Restart Manager," another of the planned reliability features that the company is baking into Windows Vista.

The technology is designed to update parts of the operating system or applications without having to reboot the entire machine.

There's a bit of additional information on Restart Manager on the Microsoft Developer Network Windows Vista Developer Center.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/reliability/

Microsoft is releasing to Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) subscribers a refreshed Beta 1 build of its WinFS code.

Microsoft provided testers with the first Beta 1 build of its next-generation file system at the end of August.

The new build, which the company said it released on Thursday, does not include new features. So what's new? The refreshed WinFS build supports .Net Framework 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005.

Be sure to keep your eyes pinned on this page, I'm sure JCXP will have much more news to come ;)

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1895872,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Tyler1989 said:
Mak is that why my keys are not working anymore I cannot install 4047 and 5048.

Also I don't know why anyone wants a pre beta anymore since the first has already been released and there are newer builds than that.

Also mak you mentioned you cannot do anything unless you are the admin. Isn't it just to oposite this time and limated accounts actually are usefull. The protection will prompt you for a password whenever you need to perform an administer based action from what I thought. I think the early release of this feature was even in the October CTP.

Yes Tyler i would believe that would be why your keys dont work and you cant install 4074 and 5048. I believe the timebomb for all the older builds before Beta 1 is up and unless you turn back you clock in your BIOS you wont be able to install.

Well with the leaked build of 5259, and with build 5231(that i have installed) you cant do much without being in Safe Mode. I know a few people that have gotten the buggy 5259 and they say that they cant even install drivers. M$ has gotten so strict on what anyone can do even witht he Admin account title.

Even with build 5231 you could do some things. Install software, drivers, and such. But you couldnt edit any major files. I wanted to to soem reg edits to clean up the system and there was nothing i could do. They just dont allow it anymore. I think that is wrong. Limiting what a user can do to their system isnt right. Even if it is protecting the stability of your software. I wanted to make the software better for me. But they are not allowing anything to be done now. I just cant stand that.:mad:

I doubt it will be final after all that was probably to keep their developers from doing stuff they didn't want them to at this point. I doubt a product that MS releases will have they restrictions.

I take it this build was only leaked and not released to technet and msdn as usual.

You are correct. Build 5259 was only released to the TAP community and from what i hear someone at IBM leaked it to the net. It isnt the version that they got. It was a nuked ISO that was leaked and patched. That is why this build is so buggy. It was like the Winmain build of 5231 that was leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom