Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is vista supposed to change its drive letter on it's own? My xp partition is the c drive. But when I load vista it switches the two. Then it goes back when I run xp again. It confused the crap out of me when I first loaded vista.

Is vista supposed to change its drive letter on it's own? My xp partition is the c drive. But when I load vista it switches the two. Then it goes back when I run xp again. It confused the crap out of me when I first loaded vista.

yeah. i think vista automatically considers whatever partition it is one to be the c: drive even if it isnt.:D

I'm seeing youtube videos of Vista having ultra fast boot time. How in the world can I obtain boot times like them? I'm talking like 12 seconds from password input to it being fully functional and ready to go. Mine takes about a minute and a half (easily) to get fully running, and nearly everything in msconfig startup is turned off!

I also just upgraded from 1gb to 2gb ram and noticed no difference in boot times.

Hey guys, wonder if anyone can help me, i've only been running vista since yesterday morning.

Hard Drive Thrashing? :(

Even worse with 2x 10,000RPM Raptors...the noise is grinding.

Anybody else have this problem? I disabled all the indexing, superfetch etc, as alot of people suggested they were bogging the HDD's down.

Any other known ways to solve high HD activity?

Thanks.

post this in the hardware troubleshooting forum as this is a vista discussion thread

what as in theyy've disabled all startup programs?
Yes they have disabled all startup apps. A fresh install of Vista with nothing isntalled will boot that fast easily. But after adding in AV, Firewall and all things like that is what bogs it down.
Hey guys, wonder if anyone can help me, i've only been running vista since yesterday morning.

Hard Drive Thrashing? :(

Even worse with 2x 10,000RPM Raptors...the noise is grinding.

Anybody else have this problem? I disabled all the indexing, superfetch etc, as alot of people suggested they were bogging the HDD's down.

Any other known ways to solve high HD activity?

Thanks.
You have disabled all teh correct functions. It sounds as if your drives are jsut dying.

is it really necessary to install a firewall?
i do dl torrents, but rarely and if i do....i usually read all the comments and make sure no one got a a trojan.
Im using avira now, but i think ill go back to kaspersky since i just feel btter with it.

Riddle me this...

The only things I have starting up in my taskbar are my volume icon, wireless connectivity icon, and some other light duty garbage such as that thing always telling me that windows blocked some startup programs.

I have no anti virus that starts.
I have no firewall that starts.
I have no spyware scanner that starts.
No, Steam for CS 1.6 doesn't start.
Nor does Google Earth or anything of that nature.

Yet on a good day I'll boot @ 2 minutes. I just did a fresh install 3 days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom