Windows Vista Discussion - Page 230 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #2291 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I don't see why you should wait for service packs. I am running XP without service packs, but I have the hotfixes installed, and everything is running fine.

I'm not switching to Vista because I don't need it yet, and I don't want to bother with drivers. That's the reason why many people wait.

As far as security is concerned, there's no need to wait for service packs either. Most vulnerabilities have not yet been discovered, and SP1 or SP2 barely prevent spyware/adware at all. I never have spyware or adware, or a virus, but other people who don't know how to use a computer have tons of them, even though they are running SP2 and anti-virus.

Just use a proper browser and you'll be fine. Also use AV.
I haven't used any firewall in almost 2 years and nothing happend (afaik, lol)

Old 03-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #2292 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMajor
I don't see why you should wait for service packs. I am running XP without service packs, but I have the hotfixes installed, and everything is running fine.

I'm not switching to Vista because I don't need it yet, and I don't want to bother with drivers. That's the reason why many people wait.

As far as security is concerned, there's no need to wait for service packs either. Most vulnerabilities have not yet been discovered, and SP1 or SP2 barely prevent spyware/adware at all. I never have spyware or adware, or a virus, but other people who don't know how to use a computer have tons of them, even though they are running SP2 and anti-virus.

Just use a proper browser and you'll be fine. Also use AV.
I haven't used any firewall in almost 2 years and nothing happend (afaik, lol)
actually XP without service packs has a 137gig hard drive limit. SP2 fixes that, so in a way you are crippled if you have a big hard drive. when i made my latest rig i had to use partition magic to find the rest fo the drive and format and then merge ,not fun.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 03-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #2293 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Quote:
Originally posted by zmatt
actually XP without service packs has a 137gig hard drive limit. SP2 fixes that, so in a way you are crippled if you have a big hard drive. when i made my latest rig i had to use partition magic to find the rest fo the drive and format and then merge ,not fun.
A simple registry modification fixes that. You can do that with X-Setup or manually. No need for service packs.

EDIT: ****. Just noticed I didn't format my old Vista partition on disk 3, lol. I could use the space

Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #2294 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
A simple registry modification fixes that. You can do that with X-Setup or manually. No need for service packs.

EDIT: ****. Just noticed I didn't format my old Vista partition on disk 3, lol. I could use the space

the major is the master of figuring out stuff like that. he taught me a lot of the stuff that I know now
Old 03-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #2295 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
the major is the master of figuring out stuff like that. he taught me a lot of the stuff that I know now

My computer keeps booting faster for some reason. Sometimes the blue loading bar doesn't even get to the end of the bar, if you know what I mean. I should record it.

EDIT:
The PCI/IDE controller takes quite long.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #2296 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Thank god for Partition Magic.

I'll need to use it when I pick up my 320GB Hard drive tomorrow, would like to partition it for different things like videos, music, etc.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #2297 (permalink)
The Bulldog

wow nice one general. that is one of the more useful hacks out there.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 03-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #2298 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

this is obviously a vista issue, not a realtek issue

http://www.techist.com/showthread.ph...41#post1108741
Old 03-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #2299 (permalink)
Super Techie

To give everyone with asus mobo a heads-up

when you run vista update, dont install one of the asus utility updates, it creates a flickering blue screen of death preventing you to go into your OS. if it happens, do a system restore when in safe mode(vista should've created a restore point while updating). and dont touch the asus update.
evga 8800GTS 512MB
Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 2x2GB
Razer Baraccuda AC-1 Sound card
Western Digital 320GB SATA
Caviar Black 1TB
Samsung 12xDVD-RAM (x2)
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Logitech G9x Mice
Logitech Z-5500 Speakers
Samsung 22" monitor
Samsung 19" monitor
Antec twelve hundred
Old 03-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #2300 (permalink)
True Techie

Sorry if this has already been posted:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/...sta/page4.html

It gets more alarming as you go through the pages.

Closed Thread