Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used vista on my friends computer. As far as looks go, it's a definite improvement over xp. Going to an xp machine just feels so bland. Looks and dx10 are pretty much the only thing going for the os though. The gui and controls feel more tucked away and more idiot proofed. Along with that and the drm I think power users will find vista restricting them. Of course it will become more stable and supported and everyone and their grandma will gobble it up like candy when they get their new comp. Even if you have the money and hardware, at least stick with xp until the first service pack.

To bad that isnt an option. There are few to no machines out there now that come with XP pre-packed. Almost everything is Vista.

Plus why does everyone say stick with XP till the first SP? Seriously does no one remember how bad XP was? Before it was even released it was leaked to the net with a activation serial. Let alone how many bugs were in it.

How many such things how you heard of from Vista? Buggy software? Not M$ fault that since Nov no company has bothered to make thier software compatable with Vista. Buggy driver? Same thing not M$'s fault.

Vista went RTM in Nov. It was released in Jan. that was almost 90 days for comapnies like Creative, nVidia, ATi and the rest to get their software working. they decided to wait till it was released. Now they are the ones who are causing all the bad talk about Vista.

I have used Vista since it went Beta 1 (And before when it was longhorn) and i have yet to find so many problems that i want to wait for a SP. Games there are maybe 3 that i know dont work. The drivers run fine from nVidia to play as i do everyday.

Plain and simple run it as your OS for 30 days or 120 which you can do. Install all the apps you want there are version of almost every applicaiton out there that do work on Vista. I run every applicaiton on Vista that i did on XP. I have yet to come across any major bugs other than the System Restore. That is the only knwon bug.

So from where i am sitting Vista is even a better option than XP cause you dont need 150 patches on install to be safe. You dont have to worry about spyware installing easily cause of UAC. Same thing for malware and viruses. The Vista firewall is good enough to run on its own. Almost all the major (And Free) anti-virus application work and run flawlessly on Vista.

I dont know maybe i am to harsh but i think Vista is a more than acceptable upgrade to XP which is still being hacked and slashed more than Vista is.

xp without a service pack worked better than vista without one. we all remember how fast that first version of xp was. it wasn't that safe(sp1 made it safer but slower, sp2 moved it to a turtle standstill), but man it was fast. vista can't say that. vista has way more issues than xp. the rc2 beta was more stable than the release version

I dont see that. RC2 had issues with running alot of applications that i use. Plus it runs better than XP does for me. XP gets bogged down fast and easy.

Yes XP without SP's is fast but the problem is that it is about as safe as a Go Kart in the Demolition Derby.

I haevnt come across any issues in Vista that cupport XP without SP being better. Yes Vista is a bit slower but the hardware requirement for it are also higher. Based on that assestment we can say that 98SE was faster than XP.

True Vista isnt flawless. I know this but it is a very good change from XP. There hasnt been any flaws found with it. Only applications that run on it. the Voice Recognition "Flaw" is a joke. Cause first off who has their speakers running right into thier mic? I wont even go into the rest.

Trying to compare XP to Vista is like comparing Beamers to Benzs. Both have their pros and cons. Personally i dont htink all the attacks on Vista are correct. They bash it for being slow, compatability and such and such. but yet back in 2001 when XP was being released the requirements for it were jsut like Vista's are now. Higher than the norm.

Just like back then there was alot of compatability issues with software and hardware. Give it a couple more months for the software and hardware makers to pull their head out of their arse and you will see Vista will take shape better.

Well the thing is, when XP was released was years ago and what a change that was, for me at least from Windows 98. A relative of mine was a beta tester back in the Longhorn named days also, I thought it was so neat and all and now its finally here; Vista and after installing it myself, I am still working my way around the O/S finding out little things here and there, other things confusing the heck outta me. Funny, I'm 18, still live at home so my dads computer runs Vista also, every little thing that happens he blames the O/S. Well true, his mobo doesn't like working but I think its straight out hardware issue so he bought a new one.

Anywho, all I am saying is this O/S is going to be around for years to come, so Microsoft needed to think of now and the future for this O/S to hold people over and so there is a lot of change to get used to and I agree, software companies could've been making drivers for this long before it was released but no, 90% still don't have drivers, and the 9/10% left, some of their drivers are glitched; I've had hands on experience here with ATi. >.<

-------------------------
And Mak, any news about removing Admin? lol

Well we formatted that certain computer so we don't need such info anymore, however, it would be nice to know right? hehe, thanks for all your help Mak.

I figure out how to disable that stupid control thing (the thing that says allow every time that you try to do something). I disable it in user accounts

vista is easier to deal with now.

I finally got my subwoofer working on it too. I manually installed the same realtek driver that vista had already loaded. now I can access the realtek control panel. I should have been able to access it already

My advice to all you people is:
Stick with XP SP2 for a few months till all the bugs are resolved and then buy the Vista. By that time I suppose atleast 95% of the software that works on XP will work on Vista.

rokza said:
My advice to all you people is:
Stick with XP SP2 for a few months till all the bugs are resolved and then buy the Vista. By that time I suppose atleast 95% of the software that works on XP will work on Vista.
95% of the applications already work on Vista. M$ has released a list of all Vista Compatable and Vista working apps.

This has been beat to death already. People should switch when they are ready. There is only 1 major bug in Vista which is being addressed in a upcomaing patch. But really how many people use System Restore more than 1 a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom