Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
lancec2c30 said:
Will windows Vista be using a similar verions of windows media player 11 for their multimedia?
Yes it will be using the same WMP 11 that is available for XP right now. Only IE7 will be different in Vista than in XP. The VIsta version will use 256Bit encryption not 128 Bit like XP.

Security experts brace for viruses in Microsoft's Windows Vista.

Microsoft's long-awaited Windows Vista release Thursday for business customers will get more than just the passing attention of network administrators. That's because hackers will be eagerly waiting to do what hackers do best: start some mischief.

The software that took $7 billion, five years, and armies of programmers is now going to be the target of hacker attacks looking to prove a point: that no Microsoft software is secure.

It's also a chance to prove Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, who's made some bold security claims, dead wrong on Vista.

That's got security firms facing an early Christmas present?namely lots of problems and steady business.

?I will sleep well tonight knowing that Vista is not the end-all to security,? said Ron O?Brien, senior security analyst at Sophos, the afternoon before Microsoft's historic release.

Burlington, Massachusetts-based security firm Sophos, whose labs have been testing Vista, on Thursday released a top 10 list of virus concerns. The researcher said that Vista is already vulnerable via web email to the Stratio-Zip worm, which is the most widely circulated piece of malware.

http://www.redherring.com/ArticlesHome.aspx?sector=Industries

Vista Vulnerable to Malware from 2004?
It looks as though the present incarnation of Vista could still be susceptible to malware that was written in 2004. It appears that using any 3rd party or web based e-mail other than Windows Mail Client could put you at risk.

At least three well-known Internet worms--labelled Stratio-Zip, Netsky-D and MyDoom-O by Sophos--are able to execute on the OS, according Sophos.

http://www.zdnetindia.com/news/software/stories/163296.html

It looks as though the present incarnation of Vista could still be susceptible to malware that was written in 2004. It appears that using any 3rd party or web based e-mail other than Windows Mail Client could put you at risk.

At least three well-known Internet worms--labelled Stratio-Zip, Netsky-D and MyDoom-O by Sophos--are able to execute on the OS, according Sophos.

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjI3OTEsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

I think Vista and Longhorn might be the downfall of Microsoft, because the requirements are far too steep and the OS is how the company can make other things suck as its hardware and the Zune, and its just the appeal that is a benefit of that OS. But the Halo fan inside me is far more superior to the computer geek, so I'm gonna have to get Vista to get Halo 2. My idiot friend tells me to just download the Beta change the date back a couple of years to save me $400 on Vista Ultimate.
In fact theres an article: Why Windows Vista Will Suck, even though its badly written it has some key points. www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT8288296398.html

If you have an opposite opinion however, read this 6 page article: www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931913,00.asp

There will be some key issues with some of the programs bundled in, so the first day it comes out there will be a bunch of PC Nerds (nerdier then me if you must know!!!) who will buy the programs and look for some way to hack it while they ask their mom for some food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom