Windows Vista Discussion - Page 184 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 PM   #1831 (permalink)
Future ex-member

Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30

So do you guys think it would be worth it for me to get Home premium version of Vista over christmas? Or will it be just like when XP first came out?

Another question I have is; Should I go for a full version and just start fresh or is the upgrade ok. I always thought that upgrades just werent all that great and that a full fresh version is the best.

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #1832 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I would guess it will be like when XP first came out. If you;re referring to it being buggy etc.

I would definitely recommend a fresh install.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:24 AM   #1833 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by lancec2c30
So do you guys think it would be worth it for me to get Home premium version of Vista over christmas? Or will it be just like when XP first came out?

Another question I have is; Should I go for a full version and just start fresh or is the upgrade ok. I always thought that upgrades just werent all that great and that a full fresh version is the best.
Vista wont be release till after January. The December releases are for Business Edition for Businesses only. For everyone else it will be in Jan. So getting it for XMas is kinda outta the question.

Overall it wont be too bad. But you will have to wait for the Software makers to catch up and get their software working with Vista. Dame thing for games. Might want to wait till Summer or at least next XMas before you get Vista.

Fresh Install over a upgrade everytime.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 11-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #1834 (permalink)
Monster Techie

agreed

sometimes I wonder why upgrade is even an option
Old 11-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #1835 (permalink)
Master Techie

what are the major bugs in RC2, i heard some of the stuff that was workig with RC1 stopped working with RC2
Old 11-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #1836 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I heard the same thing, however I'm not sure what the problems were. I'm guessing they were largely hardware-dependent, as my install was painless. I even managed to get my Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS beta drivers working flawlessly.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #1837 (permalink)
True Techie

Default repost - vista express upgrade

Figured I'd post this in the vista thread in case it helps anyone else out along the way...

-

I'm building a pc w/ some leftover parts for my dad and will need to buy a copy of XP for it. Now they're offering the free or discounted "express" upgrade to vista when it's available for consumers. Here's my question, not sure if anyone knows, but worth a shot...

I was planning to get XP Home (newegg around $85 or so) since he only does basic computing. He won't need vista, so I'm trying to figure out a way to use that express upgrade for myself, currently running XP Pro, and planning to upgrade to Vista Business.

Is it possible to buy XP PRO for his build to qualify for the Vista Business express upgrade - http://urlci.com/3f117f - and then install the vista upgrade on MY system, upgrading from XP Pro? It would be an upgrade, not a clean install, which was always the limitation of XP upgrades in the past.

I suppose a backup plan would be to buy myself a new XP Pro from newegg w/ the express upgrade option, and install my current XP pro on his comp since it. Seems like more work, but maybe not. I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to get myself a legit vista business copy since I'm having to buy XP this late in its shelf life.

On a similar note, does anyone know how the upgrade program will work? Do you just send proof of existing XP and purchase date and they ship you out a vista disc?

Any suggestions? Reading that may have been like a maze, sorry.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #1838 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm not certain, but I believe that the free upgrade only applies to certain purchases of new computers with XP Pro installed.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:04 AM   #1839 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

The upgrade option from NewEgg is interesting. Since Vista Business is supoosed to be released next month. But it doesnt get released to regular users till Jan.

So my best answer will be that it wont work since most of the offers are SUPPOSED to be for new machines with XP already installed. Not just for purchasing XP. That is what M$ intended. Either that or NewEgg is waiting till Jan when Vista gets fully released to do this. That way they can purchase copies to distribute.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 11-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #1840 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Windows Vista is done.

Quote:
Great news! Today we’re announcing the release to manufacturing (RTM) of Windows Vista.

Yes, you read it right -- development of Windows Vista is complete.
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...facturing.aspx

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: EVGA 560 Ti
HDD: Cruicial M4 SSD 128 GB
HDD 2: WD VelociRaptor 300 GB
PSU: Corsair TX650w
Case: Corsair 600T Graphite Series
Closed Thread