Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft rattles EC cage on Vista delay

Microsoft has warned European PC users face an even longer wait for Windows Vista if EU antitrust regulators mandate further changes for the delayed operating system.

The company said it's awaiting the Commission's response to answers it provided regarding officials' concerns about planned features in Windows Vista. Microsoft reportedly said in a statement: "Once we receive the Commission's response we will know whether the Commission is seeking additional product design changes that would result in delay in Europe."

Recognizing a crude PR trick when it sees one, the Commission shot back saying it was "misleading" to imply it was responsible for delays to Windows Vista in Europe. Microsoft watchers will remember the company's long-running case with the US government did nothing to hamper the delivery of Windows XP in 2001.

Instead, Microsoft issued Service Packs after the release of Windows XP - which launched a full year before a final ruling in the US case - that allowed customers to remove icons for Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Internet Messenger, Windows Media Player and Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine (JVM) from the desktop and start menu, and to also install Sun Microsystems' Java Runtime Environment (JRE).

Vista is currently penciled for broad availability in January 2007 following a launch for business customers in November

I just got Vista RC1 5600 installed today. It's VERY stable from the last time I used a beta. I think the last I used was 5342. It hasn't crashed or frozen on me in about 2 hours now. The last beta crashed or froze every few minutes. lol

I'm having problems with Firefox though. Sometimes, my screen will bounce up and down really fast in the browser. Not sure what that's about. :confused:

Avast antivirus doesn't work in this build. Says something about a known driver conflict and Vista blocks the driver so Avast doesn't work. :(

Anyone ran any spyware scanners with Vista? I just ran Ad-Aware and Spybot and found a good amount of tracking cookies. I've been using FF and Opera and they both had about the same amount of tracking cookies. Seems like I have more in Vista than I get in XP. :confused:

I'd assume Vista virus scanners have to be specific, meaning they have to be coded with it in mind for them to work. Vista/2k anti-v programs that don't mention it probably won't function.

That said, I did a quick search on microsoft.com for vista anti-v and looks like there's only one really, beta of pc-cillin, which I'm using thw RC1.

seems to be alright so far

AVG Free installs just fine on Vista. Along with eTrust Beta that is in conjunction with Vista. So Pc-Cillin isnt the only one. You just have to know which ones have worked in the past.

NOD32 also has installed and worked flawlessly on Vista Build 5600.

I'm getting so sick of vista. for 3-4 years it keep showing such great promise, but then it never actually works.

I just install mac in a dual boot system on my pc (you know where I got it from Makaveli213) using acronis disk director.

man it is so fast, I'm really not thinking about windows right now

EricB said:
I'm getting so sick of vista. for 3-4 years it keep showing such great promise, but then it never actually works.

I just install mac in a dual boot system on my pc (you know where I got it from Makaveli213) using acronis disk director.

man it is so fast, I'm really not thinking about windows right now
PM me with OS X info plz. I'd like to try it out.

Just installed vista for the first time and **** the eye candy graphics stuff is really nice, but it uses up half a gb of RAM :S and stupid incompatibility issues, It was nearly a perfect permanent OS

Microsoft released a few days ago, on September 9, an update to Windows Server Codename "Longhorn" to MSDN and TechNet subscribers.

"Marked as Build 5600, the August 2006 CTP is an update to Windows Server "Longhorn" Beta 2. You won't find many additional features over Beta 2, but there are big gains in performance and reliability as we've been able to bake in all the core OS improvements that were happening simultaneously in Windows Vista [as well as fix a bunch of our own bugs]."

http://blogs.technet.com/windowsserver/archive/2006/09/09/August_2006_CTP.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom