Windows Vista Discussion - Page 147 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #1461 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Bink.nu was just at a session on Integrity in Windows Vista from Steve Riley. "This security guy from Microsoft is always great to listen to. He talked about Bitlocker (hard drive encryption), Mandatory Integrity Checker and how IE7 behaves on Vista", mentions Bink.nu.

Also mentioned was that the goal of Bitlocker is to protect the OS, not the user's data, when your data is on the same partition as the OS your lucky. Through the bitlocker UI it is not possible to encrypt a separate data partition, with the commandline tool you can though.

http://bink.nu/Article7403.bink

Old 06-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #1462 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Laser

I recently acquired vista the other day and when I went to install it(clean install on 2nd partition), it told me that it could not identify any of my hard disks. I have a SATA Raid 0 config on an nForce3 ultra mobo and from what I can see, I havent been able to find any drivers or news releases from MSI or nVidia saying what can be done about this sort of situation.

I read somewhere else however that you may be able to manually load the drivers through an upgrade install while in windows but when I put my DVD in that I burned I get no autorun or anything prompting me to upgrade or install or anything.

Any help would be monumental for my self esteem. **** you M$!!!

MSI K8N Platinum
Athlon64 3500+ Skt. 939
Corsair TwinX 3200 1GB Dual Channel
2 80GB SATA 150 in Raid0
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
Sapphire ATI Radeon x850XT
Sony 48x12x48x16 CDRW/DVD Combo
Old 06-14-2006, 11:53 AM   #1463 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Laser
I recently acquired vista the other day and when I went to install it(clean install on 2nd partition), it told me that it could not identify any of my hard disks. I have a SATA Raid 0 config on an nForce3 ultra mobo and from what I can see, I havent been able to find any drivers or news releases from MSI or nVidia saying what can be done about this sort of situation.

I read somewhere else however that you may be able to manually load the drivers through an upgrade install while in windows but when I put my DVD in that I burned I get no autorun or anything prompting me to upgrade or install or anything.

Any help would be monumental for my self esteem. **** you M$!!!
you should post it here

http://www.techist.com/showthread.ph...421#post856421

on the vista partitioning page. it has the option to load driver. click it to load your sata driver, which you should have a floppy for
Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #1464 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Laser i can tell you right now i know what the problem is.

It is the nForce 3 RAID Config. Vista doesnt recognize it. Vista has a issue with nForce boards as it is but add RAID config and you are out of luck. Vista doesnt support RAID as of yet.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 06-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #1465 (permalink)
Newb Techie

How would I set it up on a different partition?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:59 PM   #1466 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Download a free trial of Partition Magic. Create a partition atleast 20Gb big. (make it logical, its as default anyway) then apply changes. When you reboot it will be there as 2 hdd's.
Copy vista to a dvd and boot from it. Then choose fresh install and select the partiiton you just made.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:16 AM   #1467 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Back up your data before doing using partition magic.

And yes, I can't use Daemon tools to load 64bit Vista from 32bit XP.

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 06-15-2006, 04:44 AM   #1468 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Dont install within XP! It wont work, when it tries to install after rebooting just after entering the serial number it will say couldnt load image or sumthing like that. It happened to me and another guy that mentioned it above. Just burn it to a dvd and boot from it. Or are you the person that said they didnt have a dvd burner? If so can you get a mate to do it?
Old 06-15-2006, 05:16 AM   #1469 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I am the guy with out a DVD burner. I will ftp it to my brothers PC (on LAN) which has one, it is just that it will take so long to do.

I know loads of people where it works using Daemon Tools.

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 06-15-2006, 05:19 AM   #1470 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yeah but atleast you know by putting it on dvd WILL definetly work whereas theres the chance it wont on daemon tools and will be a waste of time.

Closed Thread