Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wait for vista?

Why Wait for Vista?

Pc world

Code:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125324,00.asp

Free and low-cost add-ons deliver Vista's features to your current XP system.

Scott Dunn, PC World
From the June 2006 issue of PC World magazine
Posted Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Vista delay, schmista delay. You may not be able to upgrade to the official next version of Microsoft's Windows for months, but you don't have to wait a day to add many of the new OS's security, performance, and interface improvements to your current XP setup. And to top it off, many of these advances cost little or no money.

Faster, Faster

Advertisement

Vista introduces new techniques to help speed Windows' startup and shutdown times, and to accelerate application launches. SystemBoosterXP claims to use a technology similar to Vista's prefetching, which anticipates the files you're likely to request next and revs up your file loading and app starts. The program sits quietly in your system tray (the area near the clock) and needs little if any configuring. You can try it for 30 days before forking over the $20 registration fee.

On the other hand, if you're an inveterate system tweaker, DriverHeaven TuneXP; free, though donations are accepted) lets you adjust a variety of system settings--many of which I'd never heard of--to speed up Windows starts and shutdowns, and to optimize other system processes. For example, the utility lets you rearrange boot files for faster startups and clean out Windows' prefetch folder to optimize file access. Though every command is explained in the program's help file, it is clearly intended for technically adept users.

Click to view full-size image. If you're running out of system memory, check out MemoryBoost Pro, which hunts down RAM hogs, recovers memory leaks, and frees up unused memory. Faced with a particular application that needs all the RAM it can get, you can create a special "boost shortcut" that gathers as much available memory as possible before launching the app. MemoryBoost Pro is $20 shareware with a 30-day trial period. If that's out of your price range, the freeware utility FreeRAM XP Pro aims to do much the same thing, albeit with relatively modest features.

Safe Keepers

Vista will secure your data by letting you put your hard drive's encryption key on an external USB drive. You can do something similar for your notebook computer by using Kensington's $70 PCKey, which protects an entire hard drive, or with the company's $50 PCKey LE, which safeguards individual files. To access your data with either product, you must insert the hardware key into a USB port and enter a password to unlock its 128-bit Advanced Encryption Standard protection. If you register your product and password at the Kensington Web site, you get support for lost passwords and keys.

You don't have to wait for Vista's release to lock out unauthorized users before your PC boots. This same ability is available for free in CE Infosys's CompuSec utility. Using the same AES encryption, CompuSec provides preboot authentication to protect your hard drive's data, even if someone removes the drive and tries to use it on another machine. If you prefer, you can encrypt individual files rather than your entire system. The product also lets you encrypt diskettes, CDs, DVDs, USB thumb drives, and other removable media.

Offering a more incremental approach, Folder Lock prevents access to files, folders, and drives with a simple right-click. Unfortunately, the fast-and-easy method isn't the most secure: The files remain visible in Windows' DOS and Safe modes. For top security, you have to move the files you want to protect into the Locker folder, which secures items by scrambling them or by applying 256-bit Blowfish encryption. The trial version allows you 35 encryptions, after which you must pay the program's $35 registration fee. Even simpler is the freeware AxCrypt, which lets you right-click any file or folder and apply 128-bit AES encryption.

Parents will be delighted with Vista's ability to block objectionable content. But for $40, SentryPC gives you even greater control over who uses your PC and when. Not only can you block undesirable Web sites, you can even stifle online chatting, objectionable words and phrases, unwelcome applications, and more. You can specify the hours and days when the computer and/or specific applications may be used, or limit the number of hours a program can be open each week. SentryPC also provides a log of online chats, sites visited, words typed, applications used, and so on. The trial version runs for only an hour at a time, but at least you can try its features before buying.

The $35 iProtectYou Web-filtering utility (free trial) blocks objectionable sites, newsgroups, and advertising. This highly configurable program monitors language to thwart undesirable e-mail and instant messages. You can schedule times when Web use is permitted or blocked, manage incoming and outgoing connections, and keep logs of Internet activity.

Looks Matter

Vista's new Aeroglass interface isn't just window dressing; it also helps you find data faster and move more quickly between open windows. But you can add many of Vista's shiny, bright interface elements to XP. For example, Vista will list a file's properties and other metadata in a pane at the bottom of Explorer windows. The freeware utility InfoTip Extension lets you beef up the pop-up info tips you see when you hover over a file icon, customizing the information that appears, and even displaying the contents of a text file. Unfortunately, this utility was designed for older versions of Windows, and a few of its features don't work in XP. Also, it provides no extra information for MP3, WMA, WMV, and other music and video files (which arguably already have pretty good info tips). But hey, it's still more convenient than opening a file's Properties dialog box.

Vista will show you a thumbnail preview of open files and applications when you hold the pointer over each one's taskbar button. Microsoft's Alt-Tab Replacement PowerToy already gives you the keyboard equivalent: After you download and install the program, simply hold the <Alt> key and press <Tab>, as you normally would to switch between running apps, and you'll see a thumbnail preview of each app in succession. You won't see a preview if the app is minimized, however. If for some reason you don't want the Microsoft version, try TaskSwitchXP and Alt-Tab Thingy--two freebies that do much the same thing, and throw in some extra features besides.

Click to view full-size image. For a very Mac-like way to switch applications, try the $10 shareware program WinPlosion. As with Mac OS X's Expose feature, moving your pointer to a designated corner will cause all open windows to display in a zoomed-out view; click one to restore the previous view, but with the targeted window in front.

If you're looking for some of the transparency that Vista's interface uses, you can buy tools that apply various see-through effects to Windows (such as the $20 Actual Transparent Windows from Actual Tools). But why bother? Freeware can do most of the same tricks sans cost. If you want only your taskbar to have a degree of transparency, check out Transbar from AKSoftware. On the other hand, if you want transparency only for your application windows, the free PowerMenu not only handles that task but also makes windows stay on top of all others, minimizes them to the taskbar with a single click, and changes their processing priority to suit your preferences. If you want to apply transparency to windows and to the taskbar, Vasilios Freeware's TransApps can do both--but little else. Finally, the aforementioned Alt-Tab Thingy can ghost any inactive window so that it becomes partially transparent and also invisible to mouse clicks (the clicks pass through to whatever is underneath). The window returns to full opacity and normal behavior once the window becomes active again.

To apply Vista's cool new glasslike sheen to your windows, look no farther than the granddaddy of skinning utilities, WindowBlinds from Stardock, or the equally capable StyleXP from TGT Soft. These programs cost $20 each, and each offers a free trial. Last but not least, you can obtain Desktop Sidebar, a free version of Vista's sidebar feature that displays weather information, stock quotes, RSS feeds, and other timely information.

I heard the Ultimite Edition of Vista can not be VL. Enterprise Ed will have the Bitlocker feature.
A guy from MS said that you can not make one copy of Ultimite Ed and image it on 500 or so PC. to run Enterprise you need software insurance and it doesnt come with Media Centre. As he said any thing with the designed for windows logo it will run but you may not have the cool looks and proformance. Beta 2 the offical one will be out in the next 3 weeks, when they have all the features in it. This might be old news to you, sorry if it is:(

Tired of the pathetic boot screen in current Vista builds? There is a new trick that will allow you to see what may be the new boot screen for Windows Vista.

This new boot screen is still not what we have been expecting but is a move in the right direction compared to the white progress bar screen currently used.

Enable New Boot Screen:

1. Click on the start orb and type in "MSCONFIG" in the textbox.

2. Once the System Configuration tool loads, click on the Boot tab.

3. Under Boot Options check "No GUI Boot".

4. Hit OK and reboot to see the new screen

More tweaks at source!

Microsoft just relealed the final Windows Vista Hardware Requirements. There you go, you'll need the following machine to run Vista:

Minimal Specs (Called Vista-Ready PCs):
-800Mhz Processor
-512 MB of RAM
-DirectX 9-Capable Graphics Processor

Recommended Specs (Called Premium-Ready PCs):
-1 Ghz Processor
-128 MB Graphics Memory, numerous other graphics-related requirements
-1 GB System Memory

Microsoft also plans to make an advertisement campaign around those required machines, in order to make people be sure their machine will meet those requirements, and this campaign should be revealed on May 18th, in this case tomorrow.

This announcement was made to prepare the also planned WinHEC release of Windows Vista Beta 2 (Supposedly Build 5384, last known compiled build as of today), which will likely be made public in the days following its release at WinHEC.

These requirements are about what was expected, maybe a little bit below. As previously announced, most PCs sold within last year might be Vista-Ready, though very few fully meet the Premium-Ready requirements.

Here you go.

Wondering if your machine can handle Vista. Any version of it? Well here you go.

Microsoft Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor Beta 1 Release Build 1.0.0.18

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor is a small application that you can run on your current Windows XP-based computer to find out if it's ready for an upgrade to Windows Vista. When you run the Upgrade Advisor, it will scan your computer and generate an easy-to-understand report of any known system and device compatibility issues, along with recommendations on how you can get your PC ready for Windows Vista. Microsoft plans to add functionality to Upgrade Advisor, such as checking how your software applications will run with Windows Vista. Download the beta version today and check this site in a few months for a new version.

>> Download: Microsoft Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor | Mirror
>> Source: FileForum

Here is a screenshot of it when i ran it on my PC.

wow so how do you know what the next windows is already [makaveli213]?? I just found out about vista a few months ago (eh, 8 months?). I love this thread, keep it coming!!

but i totally want to *try* to sign up for the next M$ betas/alphas[/gammas/deltas etc :p]

i've tried searching... do you have a link maybe?

Windows Blackcomb is now called Vienna, it's the version after Vista. I'm not sure on the whole story but here is part of it.

Microsoft loves canada, the last three operating systems have been named after the some resorts around the same area in Canada not sure on what provice.

Whistler, Longhorn, Blackcomb

Windows Vista shows a lot of promise. With beta 2 of Microsoft's much anticipated operating system nearly ready to be released to the public, users will soon have the ability to judge for themselves how Microsoft's next generation operating system is coming along.

With WinHec next week (which Neowin will be attending), now seems to be a good time to take an inventory of where things stand with Windows Vista.

As the article below makes clear, Windows Vista is very impressive but it also has some serious problems that Microsoft needs to address prior to release. How serious are the problems, read the whole thing and decide for yourself.

http://www.jcxp.net/

tommyboy123x said:
wow so how do you know what the next windows is already [makaveli213]?? I just found out about vista a few months ago (eh, 8 months?). I love this thread, keep it coming!!

but i totally want to *try* to sign up for the next M$ betas/alphas[/gammas/deltas etc :p]

i've tried searching... do you have a link maybe?

I knew about Codename Longhorn which became Windows Vista. I have been Beta testing it since Beta 1 was released in July of 2005. I also have gotten alot of the old Codename Longhorn builds and tried them. So i have seen the progress of this OS since its early stages. I was just lucky enough to meet up with quite a few people online that have helped guide me in the right direction.

My best advice i can give is get yourself in on Microsoft Connect. http://connect.microsoft.com and from there try to get into some Betas that they put out thru there. I was fortunate enough to get into Vista and Office 2007. But there are quite a few more Betas out there that i also am involved in. To get into Codename Vienna there are 2 options. Either be a tester for Vista (which is almost over so that wont happen) or when they atart accepting applications for it get your name in the pool and hope you get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom