Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark33

In Runtime
- Im an XP user and feel the time is right for me to upgrade to Vista. My question is - is it more hassle than it's worth or should i go for it?

Its taken me a while to setup XP exactly how i want it and i've got a fair amount of data / programs on it - so would be upgrading rather than clean installing.

based on you techie guys experience - Should this go as smooth as ice?

The alternate method would be dual booting XP along with Vista since many programs written for XP simply won't run on the new version. This is something to consider rather then simply replacing XP at the present time.

First you would have to decide whether the hard drive you use now is large enough to shrink the one or two partitions enough to allow Vista to go on. Or a preferred option is adding in a second drive if one isn't already installed to see Vista installed there.

If you simply go to install Vista over XP the previous XP folders are packed into a Windows/old folder for saving files out of that before seeing it deleted for good. Everything would need to be installed fresh if the programs will run on the newer version.

The dual boot option seems a bit risky to me, although my computer has a good spec and could easily support it. I dont like the idea of files getting mixed up - although im sure both versions of windows would be able to tell each other part - and what system files are meant to go where! I've never dual booted before, so thats why im a bit vague on this!

I also want to install Linux (Ubunto i think its called). This is where things can get messy though, so i think ill buy a lower spec pc to much about on - rather than mess up my good one!!!!

How to dual-boot Vista with XP (with XP installed first) - step-by-step guide with screenshots

And adding a third OS (Ubuntu, not Ubunto ;)) is easy. Can follow this guide:
How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

I have tri-boots setup on my laptop (Vista, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu), as well as my desktop (XP, Windows 7/Ubuntu on a separate HDD).

So, what you are saying is that aslong as i have enough hard drive space it should be ok to setup xp, vista and even linux (ubuntu) all on the same hard drive? I better make sure everything is backed up before i start!

Is very crap. I like my old dos games and Vista and dos = Kaput!!!.

I'm guessing this is a joke?

Anyway, Vista is very good. A lot of people here run Vista HP 64bit, and don't have problems with stuff. The only stuff you're really gonna have problems with is legacy hardware/software.

I'm guessing this is a joke?

Anyway, Vista is very good. A lot of people here run Vista HP 64bit, and don't have problems with stuff. The only stuff you're really gonna have problems with is legacy hardware/software.

Vista is definitely a great OS! Only gripe I have with it is permissions and stuff (even with UAC off) but its a necessary feature when a newbie tries to screw around with Windows files.

Vista is definitely a great OS! Only gripe I have with it is permissions and stuff (even with UAC off) but its a necessary feature when a newbie tries to screw around with Windows files.

Agreed. Win7's UAC is much less intrusive, IMO than Vista's. So they really improved upon that.

Only problem I've had is that it won't show my other computers on the network in the network connections window, although I just have to manually enter the address then (\\computername\), and it works just fine, so meh.

Is very crap. I like my old dos games and Vista and dos = Kaput!!!.

Maybe you should get past the 1995 games? DOS died with XP not Vista. Plus there are things that can emulate DOS in Vista.

Nice try. Valiant effort. But so very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom