Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayhwker01

Baseband Member
I have windows vista home premium 64 and I installed AMD overdrive which is a processor utility. When I click on it to launch it says I need to be an administrator. I'm logged on as an administrator. Any suggestions?

Hello,

Right click the icon and select the Run as Admin option.

By default the account created in Vista is not the Admin account. That is hidden. The account is actually a Power User account with Admin rights.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks for your reply. I noticed that program does not have the admin run option. Other programs do. I've also been unable to install americas army because of permission issues. Do you recommend me formatting, reinstall vista, and then enable the hidden admin account?

Hello,

You can just enable the hidden admin account and then import your current profile. Unless you think there is something wrong with this install that prevents you from running these apps.

To enable the admin account do this:

Start>Run>Right click on Run and choose to Run as Admin. Then type this in:

Code:
net user administrator /active:yes

If you do not have the Run Command on the start menu just type run into the search box. Then do what i said above.

Then after you do that follows the steps outlined here:

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

That will work the same in Vista as it does for XP. That should allow you to import your current profile to the Admin one and have it work just as it does now.

Cheers,
Mak

Or you can just disable UAC.

Start > control panel > User Accounts > look for something like 'Disable or enable UAC'. You'll have to reboot.

CarnageX - I've tried that. I'm very new into my vista installation. I kinda want to just reinstall vista and immediately activate the hidden admin account and just use that. Is this a bad option for some reason?

MAK213- I havent tried to import the profile yet. I did however go over to the unlocked admin account and tried to run the AMD overdrive utility. It starts to run but then it says it cant find the path.

It's not dangerous unless you mess around with important files/settings, or get a virus while you're using the hidden admin account. That's why I just suggested disabling UAC (didn't know if you had tried this or not, though, either).

Jay,

It seems that the app install is corrupt. Try uninstalling it with the Admin account and then reinstalling it and then run it. See if that helps anything.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom