windows vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBusiness

Baseband Member
Having seen the previous 2 threads on partioning windows vista and windows xp, here is what I suggest for myself and I really need some good check on it.

I am only using windows vista on a 320GB hard drive.
I only gave it 2 partitions.

Drive C: 160GB (for storage of operating system, program/game files/windows updates/paging file purposes)

Drive D: 160GB (for all of my data files, music/photos/videos/text documents/etc.)

Are the above partitions correct in your honest opinion?

Alongside, where does the default my documents, my pictures and my music windows folder point to? Drive C or Drive D?

Any chances of losing documents saved in my documents other than the Drive D partition created during a corrupt of OS?

The only possible reason to ever even need 320 GB is for videos, music, pictures and things like that. If you have a separate partition for all of that, you don't really need a 160 GB partition just for Windows.

But in my opinion, why partition at all? Why not just have one partition with the full amount? Then you don't have to worry about it. Partitions are somewhat useful for Linux, but I don't think they're that necessary in Windows.

edit:
Nevermind. Maybe you want to be able to keep all your stuff when you reinstall your OS.

Your edit is exactly why you should partition Windows. If you have to re-isntall you lose everything then.

Plain and simple. You dont need 160GB for Windows XP. Vista...yeah i can see it. But not XP.

My setup right now i ahve 160GB for XP and Ubuntu. Between the 2 of them i am only using 30GB of space with all of my games and applications installed.

XP should have 30GB at most. Vista should have around 50GB. Depending on how many appicaitons and that you use. When i was only using Vista i had used almost 100GB out of a 120GB partition with my games and everything installed.

Well. Thanks for the comments.
Any idea where does the default my documents windows folder (which consists of my pictures, my music, my videos/etc.) saved files on?
Is it on the C Drive (OS partition) or the D Drive (Data partition)?

Any chances of losing data stored in the default my documents when reinstalling windows other than the D drive (data partition)? Or both?

Now, how do you guys set this up? I've always set up my root and home directory as separate partitions in linux, but never in windows.

When you save documents, music, pictures, etc, you just save them to your second hard drive in designated folders. Right?

It just makes me nervous when using programs and stuff for Vista due to the fact some of the stuff I have is huge. I mean, San Andreas is like 4 gig alone... Vista is like 11.4 gig, etc.... Maybe I'll reconsider. Since everything is on my desktop, it wouldn't be a big issue to get my stuff back. After all, my desktop has 2 backup drives. 3 Hard drives of my information is good enough, I think. :)

But I'll think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom