Windows updates - stuck in infinite loop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contrarian

Solid State Member
Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I was prompted by the Automatic Updates icon to install a Windows XP update. Details of this update are:

Installing Update for Windows XP (KB967715) (update 1 of 1)

Ever since I completed that install I have been getting the same prompt from that icon every single time I log on to the computer. :eek:

I have been installing it again each time and the installation appears to complete successfully.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how to fix it? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Have you manually gone to the Windows Update site to make sure that the install went thru? does it show on your list of updates in the history?

Have you manually gone to the Windows Update site to make sure that the install went thru? does it show on your list of updates in the history?

Mak213,

Yes, it shows on my list of updates -- multiple times! -- and all were successful (according to the website).

Then your best option is going to be go to Windows Update and get the update to show again, then right click and hide it to prevent it from continuing to install.

If not you could alway try to have the web based interface load the update instead of the prompt that comes up. That might resolve it could be a glitch with that update prompt.

Not sure what is causing this but it seems this update has done that for many. Mine installed only once.

I always hide that stupid net framework 1,0 sp 1 update that cause me the same problem. that's probably the one. everybody has that issue.

the workaround to get it to install isn't worth the effort

I researched this one is about shutting down Autorun completely. But Eric is right. Just hide it. trying to force install will be much harder.

Thanks for that link. I do remember something about that. My post was in reference to the KB967715, which is something to do with the Autorun not shutting down completely when selected to do so.

How to correct "disable Autorun registry key" enforcement in Windows

That is the article in which his update is in refence to which also my post was. I do remember your issue about .NET SP1 as that has caused me grief from time to time as well. Hope that clears up what i meant in my last post. Sorry for not making it clear.

Thanks for that link. I do remember something about that. My post was in reference to the KB967715, which is something to do with the Autorun not shutting down completely when selected to do so.

How to correct "disable Autorun registry key" enforcement in Windows

That is the article in which his update is in refence to which also my post was. I do remember your issue about .NET SP1 as that has caused me grief from time to time as well. Hope that clears up what i meant in my last post. Sorry for not making it clear.

oh. I thought that his error was my error.

I thought so at first but then i looked up the specific info about the update in question to find more info out about it. That is when i got the info aobut the autorun stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom