Windows Updates - Failed - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Windows Updates - Failed

When trying to do a Windows Update it begins to install the updates, but suddenly, all the updates fail! Why is Windows doing this?
I shut off my Panda Antivirus (AV+FW 2008), AVG AV/AS, and Zone Alarm Firewall. Yet, it still won't update.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Windows Updates - Failed

Okay first question why are you running 2 firewalls and 2 anti-viruses? That will cause a conflict and defeat the purpose of runing those applications at all.

2nd have your turned on the Windows Firewall? I knwo that some Windows updates are very finicky about having the Windows Firewall on. At least with Vista SP1 they are...

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, Windows Firewall is turned on. I'd take Zone Alarm over Windows Firewall any day, and I've always used two AV's. Each finds something the other won't.
I'm using SP2.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

OK, not trying to offend, but is it a legit copy of Windows? And is the automatic updates service started?

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC99 View Post
Yes, Windows Firewall is turned on. I'd take Zone Alarm over Windows Firewall any day, and I've always used two AV's. Each finds something the other won't.
I'm using SP2.
You want help? Take his advice.....
Old 01-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, Windows is legit. Auto updates is running. What should I uninstall out of my 2 AV's? I already dumped ZoneAlarm because Panda has its own built-in firewall.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n

Firewall is just like a crochet blanket

It kinda protects you from the cold, but its full of holes.

You don't really need one, but 2 is overkill and Windows firewall is ok.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Well if you spent moneyon both then i would say AVG is better than Panda. But if you got AVG Free and use a paid Panda use that till your subscription runs out.

The reason you do not want to run 2 AV's is that while one may catch something the other wont, they will conunteract each other as well. If Panda thinks something is a virus and AVG doesn not they will conflict. The system will not know what to do and the virus will get thru since the applicaitons are conflicting with each other. It will cause your system to do nothing.

At this point i would say uninstall AVG since you use Panda for the firewall. As for Redmo0n's statement. That is not totally true. If you do not have a router then Windows firewall is not okay. As it does not stop outgoing traffic by default. So if you do get infected the spyware/virus will be able to communicate freely without resistance.

From here i would suggest going to the Virus section of the forum and following Osiris's guide to spyware removal. As you might be infected and this is what is causing this blockage from updates.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Alright, thanks a lot for your help. And I do have a router, a Linksys WRT54G. Just wondering, if I was to have a keylogger and ZoneAlarm was not installed, Panda doesn't always see the connections to the internet. If it was to connect to the internet, do you think my router would block it, or would it pass on?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

If you had a keylogger then yes it would pass on. The router is mainly used to block incoming attacks. IT can filter outgoing as well but depending on the setting syou have it most likely would just let it go. Unless it used some extreme port number in which case you might have it be blocked.

After you stop by the Virus area to make sure your system is clean stop on back here if you have any more questions. We will get them resolved.

Closed Thread