Windows Updates Causes boot problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo Kilo

Baseband Member
Alright, Last night Win XP pro had auto downloaded the latest update from MS. I have my OS set to 'auto download, but let me install'. So I was notified of the update.

Right before I when to bed, I installed the update. When I got the 'windows needs to restart to finish the update' I shut down my computer and went to sleep. Today my system won't boot.

My system hangs after "Verifying DMI Pool Data.... Update Success" so I'm not given an option to start in safe mode. So I don't really have an easy way to rollback the 'update'.

But I don't think the 'update' itself is the problem, seems like something corrupted the boot sector during the update? Don't know.

I can boot to the CD and access files on the C: drive, just can't boot to it. Drive sounds healthy and I bought this drive as a replacement after my last episode in November... so I've been working without problems for 4 months or so.

Any ideas on how to approach this problem? I would really like to avoid another complete system re-install if at all possible.

Not sure what that means. If you are talking about restore, check out my first post about what's going on. It doesn't have that option.

last know good config is on the safe mode menu ...when u hit F8 there are a few selections to choose from...so try last know good configuration..i dunno if it'll work or not..i would try a system restore..

DMI or DesktopManagement Interface (pdf) is a layer of abstraction between system components and the software that manages them. The System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) is an extension of the Basic Input Output System (BIOS) that formulates and delivers this information to the operating system. The pool data is the information. In short, when the BIOS is "Verifying DMI pool data" it is verifying the table of data it sends to the operating system (Windows, etc.). If it isn't sucessful, it should return an error. Wait a reasonable period of time for it to finish. It may make take some time or it may be stuck. Possible fixes:

1. If you changed the hardware just before this problem occurred (e.g., installed a new hard disk drive), unchange it.

2. If you installed a new hard disk drive, set the motherboard CMOS Setup to Auto for the drive type. You may have to disconnect the drive first.

3. Enable "Reset Configuration Data" (may be "Force Update ESCD" in some CMOS Setuups) in the motherboard CMOS Setup PNP/PCI configuration. (Rebooting will automatically disabled it after it has done its thing.)

4. The CMOS may be corrupted. Clear it.

5. Disconnect all drives not required to boot the computer. If this fixes it, reconnect one at time.

6. The floppy drive may be bad or not connected properly.

7. Reseat all expansion boards.

8. Pull all boards not required to boot the computer.

or

If the computer has no bootable files on the drive it is attempting to boot from it is possible that the computer may halt at " verifying dmi pool data...".

To resolve this issue:

Boot from a bootable floppy diskette. Ensure that this diskette was made on the same Microsoft Windows operating system that is installed on your computer.
Once at the A:\> prompt type "sys c:" and press enter. This should report the message "File system transferred". Once transferred remove the diskette and reboot the computer.
If the computer continues to not boot attempt to re-create the master boot record by booting from the bootable floppy diskette again. Once at the A:\> prompt type "fdisk /mbr" and press enter. This should return you to the prompt without giving you any message. Once at the prompt remove the diskette and reboot the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom