Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonia2M

Baseband Member
Hi
I borrowed a friends Laptop a compacq
It hadnot been connected to internet in a long time
Also it did not have sound or image when playing a DVD
I instaled vlc and now it has image but not sound, I think it might be the hardware, how can I know if it software or hardware or settings?
Trying to fix the sound I downloaded Windows Media Player 9
and a sond driver or something from microsoft
In the mean time windows donloaded the updates, it got stuck in one called windows media so I unistall windows media restqrted and it kept donwloading
Now is stuck again in Windows Media KB911564 or just taking too long
Why is that? what cnI do?

clear temp folders, internet cache...
as for the sound, does it play other sounds? does it play music cds?
if you can hear sound in general, it's not hardware but software

what are you trying, this?
Codec Installation Packages for IT Professionals

EDIT: give this a shot
Home of Windows Essencials Codec Pack

No, I dont hear anything at all, my friend the owner is french and so the OS which makes it more complicated
I broke my laptop becuse ofthe updates got stucked also I click on cancel andwhen i turn it off the updates program is hanged and has to be terminated
thanks for the help

No, I dont hear anything at all, my friend the owner is french and so the OS which makes it more complicated
I broke my laptop becuse ofthe updates got stucked also I click on cancel andwhen i turn it off the updates program is hanged and has to be terminated
thanks for the help

The cache is the cookies

Update the sound drivers.

how where are they?please remember the OS is in french and it is a 2000
do you know about the updates?i turned off the AVG but dont know how to turn off lavasoft and the rest
The sound window appears shadowed; cant click on anything

Well you would have to go to the laptops manufacturer's site or try thru Windows update to get the sound drivers. Run CPUz to find out the info you can about the system. It should give you some ideas. Since it is in frech a dxdiag wont do you no good sice you would have to translate it.

but you will hae to find out what sound card is running and update the drivers.

Well you would have to go to the laptops manufacturer's site or try thru Windows update to get the sound drivers. Run CPUz to find out the info you can about the system. It should give you some ideas. Since it is in frech a dxdiag wont do you no good sice you would have to translate it.

but you will hae to find out what sound card is running and update the drivers.

Thanks I donwloaded the drivers, I had tried yesterday but when I went to Compaq page it didn't have anything about drivers but today I foun them
From previous experience I downloaded the older verion of the driver, how can I updated to the newest version?It does seem to do it from the hardware manager Should I have installed the newest version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom