Windows Update In XP - DOES NOT WORK!

callmewilson

Baseband Member
Hi, does anyone know what's the problem with the windows update in Windows XP, both home and pro versions it does not work, I recently clean-installed 2 laptops, one with xp pro and the other home, both coa genuine.

The update just keeps checking and checking and checking, checking for the latest updates for your computer, green bar going across the screen, it just doesn't function.

I know XP is dead fully as of April 2014 so maybe MS have closed the update service already.

Hi, does anyone know what's the problem with the windows update in Windows XP, both home and pro versions it does not work, I recently clean-installed 2 laptops, one with xp pro and the other home, both coa genuine.

The update just keeps checking and checking and checking, checking for the latest updates for your computer, green bar going across the screen, it just doesn't function.

I know XP is dead fully as of April 2014 so maybe MS have closed the update service already.

Are using the windows update service built into xp or using IE to grab the updates ?
Also please specify if you have sp2 or sp3 so we can further help you.
You could read this article here, check below the page and see if it may help you.
Windows XP Service Pack 3 Problem? - Windows update does not work anymore

Are using the windows update service built into xp or using IE to grab the updates ?

XP doesn't have the built-in update application like Vista/7 ;). It all goes through IE with services running in the background on the system itself.

@OP:

Like Mike asked, are you on SP1, 2, or 3? No, they haven't turned off the update service, but if you're on a fresh install of XP, it will take quite a while to queue all the updates necessary.

How long did you wait until you stopped the updater?

You could also try manually installing the Service Pack(s), which will take care of a lot of updates for you, further decreasing the time it takes for the updater service to respond.

Last edited:
It's XP service pack 3 integrated into the CD, I've used these for years for many reinstalls and it has never ever failed me windows update that is until now, I use the windows update you find in the start menu and it takes you via IE, I have tried updating to Microsoft update within but nothing, I have left update running as long as 3 hours.

Back
Top Bottom