Windows Update Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephS

Beta member
My sister decided to update her OS via Windows Update. She isn't sure what she downloaded (service pack or other), but the computer hung up while installing the changes. When she restarted, the computer would not boot. It goes through the motions, you see the W98 welcome screen, but before you get a desktop, the screen goes blank/black, except for a flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner. Several reboots did the same. I went into safe mode and tried to uninstall the recent windows update, but the computer said an error occurred and the uninstall could not be completed. Yes, the computer boots in safe mode.

Anyway, I tried countless things, including uninstalling virus software, but kept getting errors and warnings while trying to do so in safe mode. Finally, I booted on a boot floppy and tried reinstalling the OS. Everything looked great, and the computer restarted several times through the install process, but upon the very last reboot ... same thing as before (blank/black screen ... flashing cursor).

So, first off, does anyone know of an easy fix out of this? What about upgrading to W2000 or ME? I cannot lose my data (no, not backed up). Can you do a clean install that will undo what the stupid update has done, whether it be 98 or other? Obviously, the reinstall I did was not a complete reinstall.

If I have to, I'll remove the hard drive and recover the data elsewhere, but I don't want to go through the trouble, nor lose my programs.

Help please!

No, she has no idea which update. I'll check the video settings. If I do a clean install, is that the same as reformatting? In other words, can I install the OS another way, so that corrupt files are either replaced or overwritten. Maybe installing in another directory?? What about "Last known good configuration?" Can you do that in W98?

Man, anything but data recovery via another computer!! The computer is used for tax purposes. The files are so numerous, scattered all over, plus the software goes through countless updates and such. I know I'll end up spending days on it, and it's not even mine!

The computer isn't here, so I'm going to load up with ideas and head that way Sunday. If no luck, I'll bring the cpu back to my workbench.

More ideas ... please!!

I plan on trying a few more things on Sunday, but if doing 98 in a different directory has a chance, I want to try that first. I guess I couldn't be any worse off than I am now.

I know a little, but i don't know much. Is it too much to ask to have you give me step by step doing such? By the way, my stupid 98 CD was for a new install only, so I have trouble every so often when loading. It works, but it gives me warnings here and there.

Anyway, if you could guide me through the differenct directory effort, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Joe

By the way, Microbell, I did try and install 98 over the existing system. I got the same blank/black screen after the final reboot. So I guess the crappy files were not replaced. I suppose that may make a statement toward drivers, and not the actual system. Being able to boot up in safe mode I suppose furthe points to driver issues. And if that was so, why would the update cause this mess?

just don't take any notice about the "new install only" warnings, you should just be able to install it to a different directory anyway. Installing to another directory DOES mean a new install anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom