Windows update issues on Windows 8

MillField

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone. Has anybody experienced issues installing Windows Updates on Windows 8? I have a HP Pavilion G6 laptop. I had issues installing them right from the beginning. When they were installing they would pause at 13% and freeze there.

The computer would eventually restart. I managed to fix this by uninstalling my sound drivers, installing the updates and then re-installing the sound drivers. But now I am back to square one. The new update won't install. Any thoughts? :mad:

Maybe it's trying to install a new sound driver? Look at the list of updates that are checked off to see if you have anything audio related in there.

Nope it's not tying to install any sound drivers. The latest update which won't install is only a 500kb browser choice update. Hopefully this is just teething issues with Windows 8 and not something more significant.

Does it give any error messages when you open the Windows Update?

Right click in the lower left corner, where the start screen icon pops up. There you will see the option for Control Panel. Select that. Now go under System and Security>Windows Update or use the Search box in the upper right and type in Windows Update.

Now you can see the classic Windows Update window. Now check the recent updates. There you will see Check Update History. It will give you all updates and if they succeeded or failed. It will give an error code for the failed ones. What is listed?

Moved to Windows. Not a hardware issue.

There are a lot of failed updates. Most of these are important updates. I think I have most of them fixed now. It seems to be a problem on HP Pavilion G6's. I've checked around and seen an awful lot of people with the same problem. I'm hoping that I'm over the worst of it now.

Thanks for your help!

For the updates that have failed and have not successfully installed what you can do is install them manually. While it is more work, at least you can get them installed and the system secure for yourself. The process is a bit different.

What I do is open notepad. From there I type in the KB number. Then I go to Microsoft Search located here:

Search Microsoft.com

From there type in the KB and number. It will bring you to the page where you will get information about the update and it should offer to them as a download. Just do what is needed to get the download, the reason I say that is that some require you to register with an email address for the download link. From there download the item and then install it.

While it may take more time, it is well worth it to at least get the updates installed instead of waiting for the update patch for that HP to be pushed through.

My xeon pc often has failed downloads from Windows Update. I turn it on, and it eventually redownloads :\

This tablet I'm on right now never has failed updates, as they are pushed by campus IT.

Back
Top Bottom